The truth is out there: The X-Files is coming back.

Fox said Thursday it has ordered a second chapter of what it's calling an X-Files "event series." The 10-episode series will air during the upcoming 2017-18 TV season.

The 1993-2002 drama about paranormal events and UFOs returned in 2016 for a six-episode run with stars David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson.

The revival drew nearly 16 million viewers, said 20th Century Fox Television.

Fox said Duchovny and Anderson will be back as Mulder and Scully for the new season from creator and executive producer Chris Carter.

Carter told Reuters last year that The X-Files has become even more relevant in the present age where conspiracy theories still run rife on the internet and UFOs still perplex people.

The show drew a devoted cult fan base with its questioning of government secrets and the constant search for the truth.

Production on The X-Files is set to begin this summer. An air date was not announced by Fox.

The show's first five seasons were filmed in Vancouver before production moved to Los Angeles. It returned to Vancouver for the first revival in 2016.

Filming locations for the upcoming season have not yet been confirmed.

with files from Reuters