Michael Bublé's 3-year-old son diagnosed with cancer
'We are devastated,' singer and his wife say in statement, asking for privacy as Noah undergoes treatment
The three-year-old son of Canadian singer Michael Bublé and his wife has been diagnosed with cancer, the couple confirmed in a statement released early today.
Noah Bublé is currently in treatment in the United States, said the statement from Bublé and Argentine actress Luisana Lopilato, who also have a 10-month-old son, Elias.
"We are devastated about the recent cancer diagnosis of our oldest son Noah who is currently undergoing treatment in the U.S.," the couple said.
"We have always been very vocal about the importance of family and the love we have for our children.
"Luisana and I have put our careers on hold in order to devote all our time and attention to helping Noah get well. At this difficult time, we ask only for your prayers and respect for our privacy. We have a long journey in front of us and hope that with the support of family, friends and fans around the world, we will win this battle, God willing."
The statement says no further information will be released.
In June 2015, the toddler was hospitalized in Buenos Aries after being scalded by boiling water when he climbed onto a kitchen counter at the couple's home in Argentina.
Busy schedule put on hold
Bublé released his ninth studio album, Nobody But Me, in October, a comeback of sorts after having undergone vocal cord surgery earlier this year.
He had been expected to tour to promote the album next year, after posting online in September that he was "off to rehearsals." He is also slated to film a Christmas special in Hollywood for NBC.
"More information will be distributed as it becomes available," Steve Waxman, vice-president of publicity for Bublé's label, Warner Music Canada, told CBC News.
Earlier this week, Bublé was announced as host of the 2017 Juno Awards in April, while last month he accepted a gig to host the 2017 Brit Awards ceremony, set for February.
"Our thoughts and prayers are with Michael and his family during this difficult time. We are respecting his request for privacy, as such we cannot comment on his participation in the 2017 Juno Awards at this time," a spokesperson for CTV, the Canadian broadcaster of the Junos, said Friday morning.
Prior to his vocal cord surgery in late spring, Bublé had been set to receive the National Arts Centre Award in Ottawa, but the presentation was rescheduled to June 2017.
A multiple Juno and Grammy Award winner born in Burnaby, B.C., Bublé has sold more than 50 million records and performed around the world.
With files from CBC British Columbia