The $1,000 prize — created in memory of poet Pat Lowther — is given to a book of poetry by a Canadian woman published in the preceding year.
The full list of nominees:
- Ossuaries by Dione Brand (McClelland & Stewart).
- Walking to Mojacar by Di Brandt (Turnstone Press).
- Living Under Plastic by Evelyn Lau (Oolichan Books).
- Memory's Daughter by Alice Major of Edmonton (University of Alberta Press).
- Cathedral by Pamela Porter of B.C. (Ronsdale Press).
- La luna, Tango, siempre la luna (The Moon, Tango, Always the Moon) by Nela Rio of Fredericton (Broken Jaw Press).
On Monday, the League of Canadian Poets also announced the short list for the Gerald Lampert Award, given to the best first book of poetry published by a Canadian. It also has a $1,000 cash prize.
The finalists are:
- The Crow's Vow by Susan Briscoe of Montreal (Signal Edition of Vehicule Press).
- That Other Beauty by Karen Enns of Victoria (Brick Books).
- Tiny, Frantic, Stronger by Jeff Latosik of Toronto (Insomniac Press /4 a.m. Books).
- 1/8sic 3/8 by Vancouver's Nikki Reimer (Frontenac House).
- Here Is Where We Disembark by Clea Roberts of Whitehorse (Freehand Books).
- The Nights Also by Anna Swanson of Vancouver (Tightrope Books).
The winners will be announced June 11.