Terrace Mountain forest fire: A local resident provides an update
- July 23, 2009 1:11 PM |
- By Your Voice
Submitted by Terry Hill
About: I am a new resident of West Kelowna. The recent fires in West Kelowna and the new Terrace Mountain fire have brought back memories of working as a B.C. Forests fire fighter in the 1970's.
My take: West Kelowna is just getting back to normal after the large fire that put a spotlight on this beautiful area of the Okanagan.
Fire crews continue to put out the remaining hot spots of the Glenrosa fire. Meanwhile, a new and potentially much larger, threat consumes the landscape at a rapid pace, northwest of Kelowna.
The Terrace Mountain fire is considered a category 4 fire, currently out of control due to high winds and has grown in size to over 4000 hectares. The weather forecast is predicting hot, dry weather with a risk of thunderstorms throughout the region.
The surrounding areas of Fintry, Caesar's Landing, La Casa, Nahun, Fintry Delta and Killiney Beach are on evacuation alert. Kamloops officials are closely monitoring the imposing threat to their community.
Hopefully the outstanding coordination of the B.C. Forest Service and the tireless efforts of the fire fighters will prevail, their expertise was greatly appreciated in West Kelowna.
A special thanks goes out to the pilots of both the tankers and helicopters for their precision water drops, a very dangerous and courageous occupation.
All News blogs
- G20: Protesters, police, and civil rights
- Riot police surround G20 protesters in Toronto. (Carolyn Kaster/Associated Press)Submitted by Paul ManlyBio: Paul Manly is a filmmaker and community organizer based in Nanaimo, B.C. My story: I started my trip to Toronto at the Peoples Summit, which brought together... Continue reading this post
- G20: A voice from Malawi
- Dorothy Ngoma at Oxfam's Gender Justice Summit. (Allan Lissner/Oxfam Canada)Submitted by Dorothy NgomaDorothy Ngoma is the Executive Director of the National Organisation of Nurses and Midwives of Malawi and a member of the W8, a parallel organization to the... Continue reading this post
- Bangkok protests: A Canadian shares her story
- Thai police walk the streets to clear any remaining anti-government protesters on in Bangkok, Thailand. (Wally Santana/Associated Press) Submitted by Elaine SaulnierBio: Orignally from Montreal, Elaine Saulnier now lives and works in Bangkok, Thailand.My story: I've been here in... Continue reading this post