Canadian stranded in foreign quarantine
- May 4, 2009 2:49 PM |
- By Your Voice
Submitted by Francis St. Louis
Released: Watch an update to this story.
Note: This link will be available for one month.
About: Sent from Cumberland, B.C.
My story: Myself and wife work in Mexico. She left Mexico days ago and travelled thru the USA and into Hong Kong on a business trip into China.
She arrived in Hong Kong and stayed over night. On Saturday Hong Kong time she inquired about restrictions into China and was told no problem. She then purchased a Ferry ticket to go to Szechuan and at the customs there was refused entrance based on her passport being stamped with a Mexican entrance stamp.
Her choice given by the Chinese was to either submit to quarantine in China or return to Hong Kong.
On returning to Hong Kong she was not allowed access and isolated and keep first on board the ferry for several hours then she was placed in a lock down room for several more hours.
From her departure from Hong Kong thru the return she spent over 18 hours without access to anyone to tell her what was happening other than the H1N1 high level of observation.
She has no symptoms or has been exposed to anyone that does. Late last night after 1:00 a.m. she was sent off to an isolation camp (Lady Maclehose, Holiday Village) where there seems to be tourists coming and going everyday.
What can I do???
Unlike the lock down in the Hong Kong Hotel she has not been given any information except her temperature being taken.
The Hong Kong authorities have told her that she will remain there for the next 7 days. Also, unlike the people in the Hotel in Hong Kong, she was given no choice and as this is a long weekend in Hong Kong the only access to outside contact is thru a pay phone.
There is no one who she or I can speak to base on a long weekend!!
I really would like to know what the Canadian Government is doing to protect its citizens.
Again she has had her temperature taken and she is not sick, her only problem is that she was in Mexico. This is like being guilty based on your regular daily activity not if you have been exposed or not.
**Check back for updates.
Are you or someone you know quarantined for swine flu? Send us your story or post your comments below.
All News blogs
- G20: Protesters, police, and civil rights
- Riot police surround G20 protesters in Toronto. (Carolyn Kaster/Associated Press)Submitted by Paul ManlyBio: Paul Manly is a filmmaker and community organizer based in Nanaimo, B.C. My story: I started my trip to Toronto at the Peoples Summit, which brought together... Continue reading this post
- G20: A voice from Malawi
- Dorothy Ngoma at Oxfam's Gender Justice Summit. (Allan Lissner/Oxfam Canada)Submitted by Dorothy NgomaDorothy Ngoma is the Executive Director of the National Organisation of Nurses and Midwives of Malawi and a member of the W8, a parallel organization to the... Continue reading this post
- Bangkok protests: A Canadian shares her story
- Thai police walk the streets to clear any remaining anti-government protesters on in Bangkok, Thailand. (Wally Santana/Associated Press) Submitted by Elaine SaulnierBio: Orignally from Montreal, Elaine Saulnier now lives and works in Bangkok, Thailand.My story: I've been here in... Continue reading this post