Stranded in Mexico: "Canadians, please beware"
- April 22, 2009 5:22 PM |
- By Your Voice
Submitted by Bruce McDermid
Last week Conquest Vacations shut down its tour operations effective immediately. Many Canadians were stranded abroad and presented with large hotel bills while on vacation.
Wednesday, April 23 - Bruce McDermid and his wife arrived back in Canada after receiving a massive hotel bill and being stranded in Mexico.
Watch video of Bruce as he recounts their emotional journey.
Monday, April 20 - Earlier in the week, Shane McDermid sent in a report outlining his parents' struggle, as they were stranded in Mexico, facing a bill topping $7000.
Read his account of their plight below.
"My wife and I got back from a fabulous weeks vacation in Tulum Mexico for my Brothers wedding last Friday (April 10/09) morning, aside from a delay with Conquest/Skyservice boarding the plane (it seems Skyservice had no record of our party of 6's booking) we landed safely back in Toronto.
Here is where my great memories of Mexico turn SOUR.
On Wednesday morning I got a worried call from my wife explaining Conquest has declared bankruptcy, my parents who are staying at the resort (Dreams Tulum) are still there and are supposed to stay until the 21st. Around noon I get a panicked call from my Mother and Father from the resort, it seems Thursday morning they were politely delivered a bill from the hotel for the sum of $6572.00 in U.S. funds and were told they were unable to leave the resort until their bill was taken care of, otherwise the Mexican Authorities (the ones who carry fully automatic M-16 rifles) would be involved.
After a frantic afternoon I have the money in place for them to pay to be able to leave the resort. I have since talked to the travel agent and she explained that they must pay the hotels demands and file a claim with TICO upon their return, and maybe they'll be reimbursed. This is absolutely ridiculous, our family is VERY worried about my parents safe return and VERY, VERY frustrated to say the least. I have instructed my parents to find every Canadian on the resort and band together. Not sure what else to do... and this is just the tip of the iceberg, the story goes much deeper."
Read more travel horror stories.
All News blogs
- G20: Protesters, police, and civil rights
- Riot police surround G20 protesters in Toronto. (Carolyn Kaster/Associated Press)Submitted by Paul ManlyBio: Paul Manly is a filmmaker and community organizer based in Nanaimo, B.C. My story: I started my trip to Toronto at the Peoples Summit, which brought together... Continue reading this post
- G20: A voice from Malawi
- Dorothy Ngoma at Oxfam's Gender Justice Summit. (Allan Lissner/Oxfam Canada)Submitted by Dorothy NgomaDorothy Ngoma is the Executive Director of the National Organisation of Nurses and Midwives of Malawi and a member of the W8, a parallel organization to the... Continue reading this post
- Bangkok protests: A Canadian shares her story
- Thai police walk the streets to clear any remaining anti-government protesters on in Bangkok, Thailand. (Wally Santana/Associated Press) Submitted by Elaine SaulnierBio: Orignally from Montreal, Elaine Saulnier now lives and works in Bangkok, Thailand.My story: I've been here in... Continue reading this post