Daycare? Education? A single parent reacts to the budget
- January 28, 2009 2:33 PM |
- By Your Voice
Submitted by Alison Smith
Bio/About: I was born in Regina, raised in St. Louis, Missouri and graduated from Glendon College at York University. I currently live in Victoria, B.C., and am the single parent of a beautiful, almost-4-year-old boy.
My take: I have one comment on the budget: NO DAYCARE/EDUCATION funding!!! I see no point in an experienced/educated person with a job not being able to work because they can't find daycare/after-school care, or their daycare/after-school closes or is reduced in funds or staffing. Stupid.
I'd also like to know what I should do with my $150 in tax "relief" that I will be getting. Oh right, I'll relieve the cost of daycare. That will pay for two days of daycare a month.
If you include the $100 all parents get now, working or not, that adds up to three and a half days total per month.
Or, I will possibly pay half of what my childcare subsidy was reduced by because I have a good job, but am still a single parent.
Have you been personally affected by the budget? Send us your take.
All News blogs
- G20: Protesters, police, and civil rights
- Riot police surround G20 protesters in Toronto. (Carolyn Kaster/Associated Press)Submitted by Paul ManlyBio: Paul Manly is a filmmaker and community organizer based in Nanaimo, B.C. My story: I started my trip to Toronto at the Peoples Summit, which brought together... Continue reading this post
- G20: A voice from Malawi
- Dorothy Ngoma at Oxfam's Gender Justice Summit. (Allan Lissner/Oxfam Canada)Submitted by Dorothy NgomaDorothy Ngoma is the Executive Director of the National Organisation of Nurses and Midwives of Malawi and a member of the W8, a parallel organization to the... Continue reading this post
- Bangkok protests: A Canadian shares her story
- Thai police walk the streets to clear any remaining anti-government protesters on in Bangkok, Thailand. (Wally Santana/Associated Press) Submitted by Elaine SaulnierBio: Orignally from Montreal, Elaine Saulnier now lives and works in Bangkok, Thailand.My story: I've been here in... Continue reading this post