Results, Ridings and Candidates
Delta - Richmond East
|Party||Candidate||Votes||Vote Share (%)||Status|
|Updated: Nov. 7, 2008 5:00 PM EST||211/211 polls|
Unofficial results were updated at the time shown following judicial recounts in six ridings. For more recent results, visit Elections Canada. The CBC does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of external sites. External links will open in a new window.View these results in the interactive map »
This riding contains that part of Richmond east and south of Highway 99, Cambie, the No. 4 Road, Francis Road, the No. 3 Road and Steveston Highway.It also contains that part of Delta west of Annacis Island, the Alex Fraser Bridge and highways 91 and 99. Annacis and Westham islands and the Musqueam and Tsawwassen reserves are in the riding.
Of the residents counted in the 2006 census, 38 per cent are immigrants and 20 per cent are of Chinese origin.
Retail trade and the service sector are the biggest sources of employment, followed by the construction and manufacturing industries. The average family income is $89,806 and the unemployment rate is 4.8 per cent.
The riding of Delta-Richmond East was formed in 2004 by combining about 59,000 residents of Delta-South Richmond with another 44,000 from the Richmond riding.
Population: 106,103 (2006 census; an increase of 3.0% since 2001)
John Cummins has held this seat since 1993. He has served as a Reform, Canadian Alliance and now as a Conservative MP.
His 2006 election victory came over Liberal Patricia Whittaker. Before Cummins, the riding was held by a Progressive Conservative.
In Richmond, the 2000 election saw Joe Peschilsolido of the Canadian Alliance oust two-term Liberal incumbent Raymond Chan. The margin was 1,124 votes.
In 2002, Peschilsolido crossed the floor to the Liberals.
In 2004, Chan had his revenge, beating Peschilsolido for the Liberal nomination. Chan was re-elected in Richmond in 2004. Before Chan came to office, Tory Tom Siddon held the Richmond seat, serving in several cabinet positions.
- Delta-Richmond East:
- 2004, 2006- CON
|Party||Elected||Leading||Total||Vote Share (%)|
|Updated: Nov. 7, 2008, 5:00 PM EST|
Choose a format to view results for all ridings and parties:
Unofficial results were updated at the time shown following judicial recounts in six ridings. For more recent results, visit Elections Canada. The CBC does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of external sites. External links will open in a new window.
My Riding & Riding Talk
Get the latest voting results for your riding. Have your say about what's important in your own riding. Read profiles about your candidates, get riding-related information and join the debate.
B.C Headlines »
- Vancouver man attacked, killed in Costa Rica
- A Canadian man has been killed in Costa Rica in an apparent home invasion, but Foreign Affairs has released few other details on the matter.
- photos Prince Andrew in Victoria for Highland Games
- Prince Andrew is in Victoria this weekend, as Scots celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Highland Games.
- Thief robs, injures woman in wheelchair
- Police in Agassiz are searching for a purse-snatcher who robbed a woman in an electric wheelchair.
- Rob Ford should resign if allegations true, councillors say video
- Two councillors say that Toronto Mayor Rob Ford should resign from office if unproven allegations that he was caught on tape smoking crack cocaine turn out to be true.
- East Vancouver residents in 'guerrilla gardening' campaign video
- Frustrated Vancouver residents have spent the weekend "guerrilla gardening" after repeated calls to the city to clean up the area's green spaces have fallen on deaf ears.