Results, Ridings and Candidates
Souris - Moose Mountain
|Party||Candidate||Votes||Vote Share (%)||Status|
|Updated: Nov. 7, 2008 5:00 PM EST||176/176 polls|
Unofficial results were updated at the time shown following judicial recounts in six ridings. For more recent results, visit Elections Canada. The CBC does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of external sites. External links will open in a new window.View these results in the interactive map »
This riding is in Saskatchewan's southeast corner. The Qu'Appelle River forms the northeast border. Estevan and Weyburn are the two largest population centres; other communities include Grenfell, Moosomin and Carnduff, along with several First Nations reserves.
Eight per cent of the population is aboriginal and three per cent are immigrants. English is the mother tongue of 92 per cent. Nine per cent of residents over age 25 have a university certificate or degree.
Agriculture, including purebred cattle ranching, and its related industries are the big employers here. There is also some coal mining.
The 2006 census found an average family income of $74,029 and an unemployment rate of 3.7 per cent, the second-lowest in the province.
This riding was created in 1986. Ten years later, it added a handful of voters from Swift Current-Maple Creek-Assiniboia and Regina-Wascana. It was unaltered in the 2004 redistribution.
Population: 63,238 (2006 census; a decrease of 4.5% since 2001)
Conservative incumbent Ed Komarnicki won handily in 2006, defeating Liberal Lonny McKague while capturing 62 per cent of the vote. In 2004, Komarnicki defeated Grant Devine, who ran as an Independent. Devine was the Progressive Conservative premier of Saskatchewan from 1982 to 1991. Roy Bailey won this seat under the Reform banner in 1997, ousting one-term Liberal MP Bernie Collins by 4,655 votes. Bailey was re-elected handily in 2000 as a Canadian Alliance candidate.
Progressive Conservative Len Gustafson was the MP from 1979 until 1993.
- 1988 - PC
- 1993 - LIB
- 1997 - REF
- 2000 - CA
- 2004, 2006 - CON
|Party||Elected||Leading||Total||Vote Share (%)|
|Updated: Nov. 7, 2008, 5:00 PM EST|
Choose a format to view results for all ridings and parties:
Unofficial results were updated at the time shown following judicial recounts in six ridings. For more recent results, visit Elections Canada. The CBC does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of external sites. External links will open in a new window.
My Riding & Riding Talk
Get the latest voting results for your riding. Have your say about what's important in your own riding. Read profiles about your candidates, get riding-related information and join the debate.
Saskatchewan Headlines »
- Saskatoon police probe double stabbing
- Saskatoon police are investigating a double stabbing after two 19-year-old men were wounded with a knife Friday evening.
- Man charged after 2 women sprayed with mace
- A 21-year-old man is facing assault charges after two women were spayed with mace in Saskatoon Friday night.
- Man, 21, stabbed in Saskatoon's north end
- Saskatoon police are investigating after a 21-year-old man was stabbed at Stanley Place early Saturday morning.
- Small plane uses RCMP driver training course for emergency landing
- The pilot of a small plane landed safely on the grounds of the RCMP Training Academy in Regina, after reporting a mechanical problem.
- recap Knights best Blades in Memorial Cup opener video
- Nikita Zadorov scored on the power play in the third period Friday as the London Knights defeated the host Saskatoon Blades 3-2 in the opening game of the 2013 MasterCard Memorial Cup.