Results, Ridings and Candidates
Elmwood - Transcona
|Party||Candidate||Votes||Vote Share (%)||Status|
|Updated: Nov. 7, 2008 5:00 PM EST||180/180 polls|
Unofficial results were updated at the time shown following judicial recounts in six ridings. For more recent results, visit Elections Canada. The CBC does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of external sites. External links will open in a new window.View these results in the interactive map »
This is a mainly suburban riding in the northeast end of Winnipeg. It runs between the Red River in the west and the eastern limits of the city. The southern boundary is Mission Street, Plessis Road, St. Boniface Road, Murdock Road and Dugald Road. The northern boundary is Oakland Avenue, McLeod Avenue, Grassie Boulevard, Perfanick Drive, Angela Street, the CP Rail line and the Winnipeg city limits.
Bus and furniture manufacturers are major employers, with the manufacturing industry as a whole accounting for about 15 per cent of jobs. Retail trade and the service sector are other major sources of employment.
The immigrant population is almost 15 per cent. There are large German and Ukrainian communities, each accounting for about 22 per cent of the total.
The average family income was $65,172 in the 2006 census, and the unemployment rate was five per cent.
The riding of Winnipeg-Transcona was created in 1986 from 60 per cent of Winnipeg-Birds Hill and 19 per cent of Winnipeg North Centre. In 1996, it added a small area from St. Boniface. In 2004, the name was changed to Elmwood-Transcona.
Population: 78,700 (2006 census; an increase of 0.9% since 2001)
In 2006, New Democrat Bill Blaikie earned his ninth term as MP, winning over Conservative Linda West by more than 6,000 votes. In the previous election, Blaikie earned a victory over Bryan McLeod, another Conservative. Blaikie was first elected in 1979 in Winnipeg-Birds Hill. He is the deputy leader of the NDP.
- 1979, 1980, 1984 - NDP
- 1988, 1993, 1997, 2000 - NDP
- 2004, 2006 – NDP
|Party||Elected||Leading||Total||Vote Share (%)|
|Updated: Nov. 7, 2008, 5:00 PM EST|
Choose a format to view results for all ridings and parties:
Unofficial results were updated at the time shown following judicial recounts in six ridings. For more recent results, visit Elections Canada. The CBC does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of external sites. External links will open in a new window.
My Riding & Riding Talk
Get the latest voting results for your riding. Have your say about what's important in your own riding. Read profiles about your candidates, get riding-related information and join the debate.
Manitoba Headlines »
- Manitobans weigh into the senate scandal video
- The scandal that continued in Ottawa Tuesday as the opposition grilled the government about senate expenses left Winnipegger Ron Boyko's blood boiling.
- "Unbelievable" rain soaks southern Manitoba video
- Heavy rain dumped as much as 100 mm in some areas
- Manitoba residents question weather warning system video
- The tornado that ripped through Oklahoma City on Monday stirred memories for residents in Elie, Man., who lived through the same terrifying experience in 2007.
- Winnipeg car-sharing program doubles fleet
- A Winnipeg car-share program has doubled its fleet of cars to serve a growing demand in the city.
- updated Winnipeg's CDI College investigated, enrolment halted video
- CDI College in Winnipeg is under investigation after several students in its licensed practical nursing program complained to Manitoba's LPN regulatory body.