Results, Ridings and Candidates
Elmwood - Transcona
|Party||Candidate||Votes||Vote Share (%)||Status|
|Updated: Nov. 7, 2008 5:00 PM EST||180/180 polls|
Unofficial results were updated at the time shown following judicial recounts in six ridings. For more recent results, visit Elections Canada. The CBC does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of external sites. External links will open in a new window.View these results in the interactive map »
This is a mainly suburban riding in the northeast end of Winnipeg. It runs between the Red River in the west and the eastern limits of the city. The southern boundary is Mission Street, Plessis Road, St. Boniface Road, Murdock Road and Dugald Road. The northern boundary is Oakland Avenue, McLeod Avenue, Grassie Boulevard, Perfanick Drive, Angela Street, the CP Rail line and the Winnipeg city limits.
Bus and furniture manufacturers are major employers, with the manufacturing industry as a whole accounting for about 15 per cent of jobs. Retail trade and the service sector are other major sources of employment.
The immigrant population is almost 15 per cent. There are large German and Ukrainian communities, each accounting for about 22 per cent of the total.
The average family income was $65,172 in the 2006 census, and the unemployment rate was five per cent.
The riding of Winnipeg-Transcona was created in 1986 from 60 per cent of Winnipeg-Birds Hill and 19 per cent of Winnipeg North Centre. In 1996, it added a small area from St. Boniface. In 2004, the name was changed to Elmwood-Transcona.
Population: 78,700 (2006 census; an increase of 0.9% since 2001)
In 2006, New Democrat Bill Blaikie earned his ninth term as MP, winning over Conservative Linda West by more than 6,000 votes. In the previous election, Blaikie earned a victory over Bryan McLeod, another Conservative. Blaikie was first elected in 1979 in Winnipeg-Birds Hill. He is the deputy leader of the NDP.
- 1979, 1980, 1984 - NDP
- 1988, 1993, 1997, 2000 - NDP
- 2004, 2006 – NDP
|Party||Elected||Leading||Total||Vote Share (%)|
|Updated: Nov. 7, 2008, 5:00 PM EST|
Choose a format to view results for all ridings and parties:
Unofficial results were updated at the time shown following judicial recounts in six ridings. For more recent results, visit Elections Canada. The CBC does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of external sites. External links will open in a new window.
My Riding & Riding Talk
Get the latest voting results for your riding. Have your say about what's important in your own riding. Read profiles about your candidates, get riding-related information and join the debate.
Manitoba Headlines »
- new Motorhome fire causes delays on Hwy 1
- The RCMP are on scene of a motorhome fire on the just east of Richer, Man. which has traffic backed up Trans-Canada Highway.
- updated Motorcycle Ride for Dad cancer fundraiser hits the road video
- Hundreds of motorcycle riders are set to hit the road from Winnipeg to Gimli this morning in the annual Motorcycle Ride for Dad fundraiser for prostate cancer research.
- new Several people in police custody after gun call
- Several people have taken into custody after reports of several men armed with guns in Winnipeg's early Saturday morning.
- updated Hockey Canada votes to ban bodychecking in peewee hockey video
- Hockey Canada's board of directors voted to eliminate bodychecking from peewee-level hockey on Saturday in Charlottetown.
- Winnipeg police raid houses on Home Street
- Winnipeg police took a number of people into custody on Friday evening, as part of a raid of two houses in the city's West End.