The Windsor Police Service on Thursday commissioned a new police boat at Lakeview Marina.
Some quick facts and features about the boat include:
- $350,000 cost
- 9.6 metres, or 31.5 feet, in length
- Yamaha 300 motor featuring 600 horsepower
- Named 'Defender'
- Five marine officers
- Law enforcement lighting package
- Side scan sonar
- Thermal camera
- Encrypted radio
- Cabin is designed like a police cruiser interior
- Air conditioned
- If it capsizes, it flips itself upright
The police service was hopeful it would get the boat in the water Thursday, but the Detroit River was too icy. It will try again Friday.
The previous boat was from 1979.