Ontario's Special Investigations Unit has cleared two Windsor police officers of any wrongdoing in the death of a 22-year-old man earlier this year.

In a statement released Monday, the SIU said "there are no reasonable grounds to charge two Windsor Police Service officers with any criminal offence" relating to a man’s death in May 2012.

The man, who was not identified in the statement, died in early May after a bizarre incident on Jacob Street in Windsor.

Police were called to a home around 11 a.m. ET after reports of a man was acting erratically in the backyard of a home.

One of the officers noted the man was wearing only a T-shirt and underwear and was on his knees clawing at the grass, sweating and moaning profusely.

The SIU said in the statement the first officer called an ambulance.

"The man lay down on the ground and appeared to lapse into unconsciousness," the statement reads.  "The second subject officer arrived. They rolled the man onto his back and attempted to find a pulse.  They could not find one and began performing CPR on him."

The report also noted paramedics arrived and transported the man to hospital.

He was pronounced dead a short time later.

Pathology reports determined the man died from an overdose of methamphetamine.

"He succumbed to the ingestion of a toxic level of methamphetamine, notwithstanding the subject officers’ attempts to assist him," said Ian Scott, director of the SIU in a statement. "On the basis of this investigation, the man was the sole author of his own misfortune."