Windsor-Essex NDP MPPs Lisa Gretzky and Taras Natyshak returned to Queen's Park Monday with a strong message for Premier Kathleen Wynne following the devastating flooding in the region.
- Number of Windsor basement flooding reports tops 6,000
- Windsor hauls in extra trucks for flood-damaged goods
- Flood follow-up: 8 ways Windsor will fix its sewer system to prevent future floods
"For the second time in 12 months, area residents have had to recover and rebuild their lives," said Natyshak. "The premier tweeted that she'd help. But we've really seen nothing. Municipal staff continue to be spread thin, desperately trying to keep up with amount of debris that needs to be cleared."
More than 6,000 homes had reported basement flooding as of Monday morning. Garbage collection continues to be an issue as the city scrambles to find extra help. Recycling collection in flood-ravaged areas is still on hold as those resources are directed at flood-damage pick up.
Ontario NDP Leader Andrea Horwath toured the impacted areas last week and, in an open letter, urged Wynne to expedite permits to allow garbage trucks from Michigan to cross the border to help.
"We know that the clean-up process would be expedited if this Wynne government would stop giving the city the run-around, and allow garbage trucks from Michigan to cross the border in order to help," said Gretzky. "We know the premier is preoccupied with her testimony for the bribery scandal but why is she letting this scandal get in the way of assisting people of Windsor-Essex in their time of need?"
Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing Bill Mauro is expected to tour flood-affected areas this morning with area mayors and then speak with reporters at 12:15 p.m. at Windsor City Hall.