Leamington getting new movie theatre
Posted: Feb 15, 2013 9:36 AM ET
Last Updated: Feb 15, 2013 12:07 PM ET
Leamington won't be without a theatre for long.
Just weeks after Star Theatres closed it's doors, independently-owned Imagine Cinemas announced it has signed a deal to re-open a movie theatre in the Talbot Street location in Leamington.
Imagine already owns Lakeshore Cinemas and Timmins Cinemas 6 in Timmins, Ont.
"The town of Leamington is exactly the type of demographic location we seek as we expand our regional theatre chain," Imagine general manager Gina Facca said in a media release.
Facca said her company has "found its niche" in smaller communities, like Leamington.
Star Theatres closed because it had to upgrade its technologies to meet industry standards. It was just too costly for the company.
Facca said her company will "invest a significant amount of money upgrading the cinema" there.
Renovations will start in early March and the yet-to-be-named theatre is expected to open May 3.
Facca figures the theatre will employ one full-time and 10 part-time employees.
Latest Windsor News Headlines
- Flu shot for health workers urged by Ont. medical officer
- Ontario's chief medical officer of health is renewing her push for health-care workers, particularly those in long-term care, to get their shots. more »
- Petition looks to rename Victoria Day
- A group that includes some prominent Canadian actors, writers and politicians is calling on Prime Minister Stephen Harper to change the name of Victoria Day. more »
- Unknown remains found on Dellen Millard's farm
- Police searching the farm of Dellen Millard, the 27-year-old charged with first-degree murder after the remains of Ancaster, Ont., man Tim Bosma were discovered, have found other remains on the property, but it's unclear if they are human or animal. more »
- Blackhawks in 2-1 series hole
- Gustav Nyquist and Drew Miller scored 31 seconds apart in the second period and Pavel Datsyuk added added insurance in the third to lead the Detroit Red Wings to a 3-1 win over Chicago in Game 3 of their second-round Stanley Cup playoff series Monday night. more »
Top News Headlines
- NDP wants RCMP inquiry into $90K payment to Duffy
- Will alleged Rob Ford video overshadow Toronto casino debate?
- Canadian on EI shut out amid foreign worker influx
- Baseball fuels dreams, desperation in Dominican Republic
- Turtle hit by car airlifted 400 km for medical care
- Windsor-Essex students at national gay-straight alliance summit
- Asian carp caught in Grand River near Lake Erie
- Temporary foreign worker bust made in Kingsville
- 'Plausible' that Asian carp have reached Great Lakes
- Building falls at University of Windsor construction site
- Ontario children killed by truck in I-75 pileup, say lawyers
- Huge toxic algae bloom expected for Lake Erie
- Computer science enrolment low, despite opportunities