Windsor fluoride debate comes down to vote Monday
Posted: Jan 25, 2013 11:51 AM ET
Last Updated: Jan 25, 2013 6:13 PM ET
The Windsor Utilities Commission recommends fluoride be removed from the city's drinking water.
Windsor council is to decide whether to do so on Monday.
The recommendation also states, however, that, "savings from this action be redirected to oral health and nutrition education in Windsor and Essex County for a period of five years."
Windsor spends $130,000 dollars each year to add fluoride to its water system. And it's been doing so for 58 years now.
The Windsor drinking water system also provides water to the towns of LaSalle and Tecumseh.
The Town of Tecumseh has already advised the WUC to stop adding fluoride to the water.
According the WUC, "the fluoride debate is a public health issue rather than a water treatment or operational issue."
"As such, from an operability standpoint, administration sees no risk with respect to the removal of fluoride from the City of Windsor water supply," their report council reads.
The WUC said it's received 26 letters of support of removing fluoride from water.
Fluoride Free Windsor is one group lobbying the WUC and Windsor council to remove the additive.
Dr. Allen Heimann of the local health unit previously noted the Centers of Disease Control calls water fluoridation one of the top 10 public health achievements of the 20th Century.
The WUC received 22 letters requesting fluoride remain in the water.
Research done at the University of Toronto for Ontario's Ministry of Health in 1999 concluded: "the few studies of communities where fluoridation has been withdrawn do not suggest significant increases in dental caries."
Latest Windsor News Headlines
- 2nd suspect named in Tim Bosma slaying
- The second suspect arrested in the Tim Bosma slaying has been identified as Mark Smich, 25, of Oakville, Supt. Dan Kinsella of Hamilton police announced Wednesday afternoon. more »
- Windsor-Tecumseh by-election to be after budget passes
- Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne will set a date for a by-election in the riding of Windsor-Tecumseh once the budget officially passes. more »
- CAW, Vets Cab reach tentative agreement
- A tentative agreement has been reached between CAW Local 195 and Vets Cab in Windsor. more »
- Year-round schooling coming to Windsor
- Greater Essex District School Board is closer to instituting the pilot project of sending elementary students to school nearly all year long. more »
Top News Headlines
- Harper 'not consulted' about Duffy Senate expense repayment
- Prime Minister Stephen Harper says that not only did he not know about his chief of staff's "gift" to repay Senator Mike Duffy's expenses before the story broke in the media, he was not consulted and did not sign off on Nigel Wright's decision to write a personal cheque. more »
- Mayor Ford stays silent while his brother defends him
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford continues to stonewall the media over allegations that he was recorded on video smoking what appears to be crack cocaine, but his brother Coun. Doug Ford told reporters Wednesday that the story is untrue. more »
- 'You will see him again in heaven,' Sharlene Bosma tells daughter
- Sharlene Bosma told more than 1,000 people at the public memorial service for her slain husband, Tim Bosma, about the love they shared. more »
- Obama to visit Oklahoma following deadly tornado
- Rescue workers raced to complete the search for survivors and the dead in the Oklahoma City suburb where a mammoth tornado destroyed countless homes, cleared lots down to bare red earth and claimed 24 lives, including those of nine children. more »
- All clear after 6-hour industrial fire in Windsor, Ont.
- Nearly 200 Catholic teachers to be laid off in Windsor-Essex
- Windsor fire reviewing industrial inspection policies
- Oklahoma tornado 'heavy reminder' for Windsor-Essex
- Windsor council to rule on giant Canadian flag on waterfront
- Year-round schooling coming to Windsor
- Turtle hit by car airlifted 400 km for medical care
- Council cancelled in wake of fire
- Temporary foreign worker bust made in Kingsville