Police ID couple killed in Leamington, Ont.

Police have identified the two people who died in Leamington, Ont., Wednesday as Lorena and Miguel Sousa.
A woman's body was found in the basement of a Bennie Avenue home in Leamington, and her husband was found bleeding in the driveway Wednesday. He died later in hospital. ((Tom Taylor/CBC))

Police have released the names of two people who died in Leamington, Ont., Wednesday afternoon.

Officers found the body of Lorena Sousa, 36, in the basement of a home at 62 Bennie Ave., after they responded to a report of a man lying bleeding in the driveway, said Const. Kevin O'Neil.

The man, who was found with a slashed throat, was identified as Sousa's husband, Miguel Sousa, 39.

Concerned residents watched nearby as officers investigated.

"What did it look like? Very bloody," said Richard Garant, who lives on the street. "I could see blood on the snow and blood on the door."

Miguel Sousa was taken by ambulance to Leamington District Memorial Hospital, where he died a short time later.

Police said they continue to investigate the incident but are not looking for any other suspects. 

At a news conference Thursday in Leamington, police reassured the public that residents are not at risk.  

Relatives of the Sousas told CBC News the couple had two teenage children, who were both at school at the time of the incident and are now staying with their grandparents.

A section of Bennie Avenue was blocked off while police searched for clues in and around the brick, semi-detached ranch home on a quiet street in the municipality of 31,000 on the shore of Lake Erie.

"Just shock," said one man who lives on the street.

Leamington police block off a section of Bennie Avenue after a woman was found dead in a house and a man fatally wounded outside Wednesday. ((CBC/Tom Taylor))

"They always seemed like nice people out in the yard, playing with the kids, the dog. She walked her dog all the time," said neighbour Jennifer Coppola.

Raul Antunes said he worked with Miguel Sousa at a construction company.

"Right now, he was laid off, he was a little bit stressed out because he was laid off maybe?" said Antunes. "I don't know. Holy cow."

A post mortem was scheduled for Thursday in London.

Leamington police have called in the Ontario Provincial Police forensic identification unit and criminal investigation branch to assist in the investigation.