All-clear given after gas leak at Tecumseh Vista Academy
Leak caused by gas line on the roof, says Tecumseh Fire and Rescue Service
Union Gas crews have given the all-clear at Tecumseh Vista Academy after a natural gas leak Monday morning.
The school on Shields Street was evacuated after reports of a strong smell of natural gas.
"After the arrival of secondary students first thing this morning a possible natural gas leak was detected. The building was evacuated," explained Scott Scantlebury, spokesperson for the Greater Essex County District School Board.
A possible natural gas leak this morning at Tecumseh Vista Academy-building evacuated of secondary students and staff-elementary students yet to arrive-will be held on buses- Union Gas and emergency response have been notified—@gecdsbpro
He added elementary students, who have a later start time, were not at school at the time of the evacuation.
Source of leak found
Emergency crews arrived at the school on Shields Street around 8:30 a.m. and reported a "strong smell of natural gas."
Tecumseh Fire and Rescue Services and Union Gas crews determined the cause of the leak was a gas line that feeds a rooftop appliance.
Students were transported to St. Peter Catholic Elementary School until the all-clear was given because of the "cold conditions."
Vista Scademy School Shields Street. Strong smell of natural gas. Crews are on location—@TECFD