The Cessna 172, registered to the Windsor Flying Club, which crashed at Nashville International Airport early on Oct. 29, 2013. (Courtesy of Windsor Flying Club)

The Nashville Metro Police Department has confirmed to CBC News the Windsor pilot killed in a plane crash last month listed singer Taylor Swift as his next of kin.

It's the latest twist in an ongoing investigation.

Michael Callan, 45, was the only person on the single-engine Cessna 172 that crashed at Nashville International Airport sometime between 2 a.m. and 8:45 a.m. on Oct. 29.

In an email, Nashville Metro Police spokesman Don Aaron told the Tennessean newspaper that the Federal Aviation Administration informed the department Callan listed Swift as his next of kin in paperwork filed with the Windsor Flying Club.

A call was placed by CBC News to Windsor Flying Club president David Gillies but he wasn't available.

Aaron told the Tennessean newspaper the news of Swift being listed as next of kin was passed on to the FAA's Specialized Investigations Unit, which then relayed the information to Swift's security team.

According to the paper, Swift's team said no one, including Swift, had ever heard of Callan.

Aaron wasn't available for comment Thursday, but the department told CBC News on Thursday "all statements Don Aaron made in the Tennessean are true."

The National Transportation Safety Board told CBC in an email that it does not release personal information regarding those involved in accident investigations.

CBC News emailed Taylor Swift's publicist for comment but didn't immediately hear back. CBC also asked the FAA for comment.

Flight originated in Windsor

Callan was a member of flying club and rented the plane from there.

The National Transportation Safety Board previously confirmed the flight originated at Windsor International Airport and that a visual flight rules flight plan was filed. It listed the destination airport as Pelee Island Airport.

According to the flying club’s manager, the pilot signed the flying club’s authorization sheet with his destination listed as Pelee Island.

Transportation Canada reported the pilot closed his flight plan about 10:30 p.m. on Oct. 28. The pilot did not file any additional flight plans and a preliminary review of air traffic control information provided by the Federal Aviation Administration revealed no communication between air traffic control and the pilot.

It's not known if the plane ever landed on Pelee Island.

It's not known why Callan ended up in Nashville or what, if anything, was on board the plane.

According to Callan's sister, Jodie Quenneville, he had been flying for years.

Fog was heavy at the time of the crash and Callan was flying without using instruments.