Fatal fire that killed 66-year-old woman was accidental
Windsor police say preliminary reports indicate that the fire that killed a 66-year-old woman at a seniors complex Thursday was accidental.
Fire crews were called to the Ken Gerard Seniors Apartments building on Ypres Boulevard around 7 p.m.
"It was an apartment fire confined to that one unit on the fifth floor. As a result of the fire, one person passed away. She was found in the living room," Windsor Fire and Rescue assistant chief fire prevention officer John Lee.
It's believed the fire started in the living room. The woman lived alone in the apartment.
Damage is estimated at $25,000.
Lee said there was "heavy smoke conditions."
"There was not a lot of fire," Lee said.