$150K fire destroys Tecumseh home
Tecumseh Fire Chief Doug Pitre grew up in the home that went up in flames
Fire destroyed a Tecumseh home early Monday morning.
It happened in the 1400 block of Shawnee Road.
When they arrived, firefighters found flames shooting out the front windows.
Tecumseh Fire chief Doug Pitre said the homeowner was alone inside at the time, and got out safely.
"The good part was, smoke detectors alerted the homeowner. He had told us that he was a hard person to wake up. His kids could never wake him up in the morning so, in turn, I'd like to reiterate to the public how valuable a $6 smoke detector is," Pitre said.
Investigators blame the fire on careless smoking.
Damage is estimated at $150,000
The house holds special meaning to Pitre, he grew up in the home.
"A lot of memories there," Pitre said. "So I took out a final walk through to put that to rest before I exited the house.
"It's only a building but you still have a certain connection."