Victim of York University shooting speaks out

One of the two women shot at York University Thursday spoke with CBC News from her hospital bed Friday night recounting what happened when a gunman opened fire.

A student shot in the leg talks to CBC News from her hospital bed

One of the two women injured in the shooting at York University spoke to CBC News in an exclusive Friday night 3:17

One of the two women shot at York University Thursday spoke with CBC News from her hospital bed Friday night.

Two women were injured Thursday night before 11 p.m. ET after a man fired a gun while in the university's food court. One woman was injured by shrapnel and is recovering at home, the other was shot in the leg and taken to Sunnybrook Hospital.

The student, who did not want to be identified as police still hunt for the suspect, told CBC News that she and some of her friends had been playing cards in the student centre Thursday night when they heard a commotion.

"I heard a loud bang and I thought it was because the chair fell, but it was actually the gunshot, I didn't know this and my leg went numb," she said from her hospital bed at Sunnybrook Hospital Friday night.

She didn't realize at the time she had been shot in the leg, the bullet lodged in her thigh.

"I was just thinking 'oh my god, am I going to walk. Am I going to be able to walk?'" she said.

"One of my friends came beside me and said 'you are bleeding' … she tied her sweater around my leg and she called 911."

But her friend, too, had also been injured by some shrapnel.

The campus was locked down after the shooting. The lockdown was lifted around 1:10 a.m. ET when Toronto police said the campus could "resume normal operations."

Security concerns

Associate Prof. Andrew Eckford says he heard about the shooting Friday morning on Twitter. He says the school should be more proactive about reassuring its students and staff.

“Something this big, I think they certainly should have put something out on email to everyone before we started coming to work this morning,” Eckford told CBC News.

Officials with the university declined to speak to CBC Friday, but put out a statement

"The University has taken several measures to enhance safety on campus, including increasing security patrols and the use of Toronto Police Service," it read.

Police say the two victims were likely not targeted by the shooter, and were instead in the wrong place at the wrong time. One remains in hospital following the surgery, the other is back home.

The suspect remains at large. Police say he fled on foot after the shooting.

He is described as a black man in his mid-20s, about five foot eight inches to six feet tall, wearing a black hooded sweatshirt and a black coat.