Via Rail train service between Toronto and Ottawa will continue to experience more disruptions Wednesday following a devastating crash that killed six people and injured dozens more.
A Toronto-bound Via Rail train collided with the front-end of a city bus in Ottawa Tuesday morning, when the driver of the bus, who was among those killed, failed to stop at a rail crossing.
The train, which was expected to arrive at Toronto’s Union Station around 12:50 p.m. Tuesday afternoon, was travelling through Barrhaven, outside Ottawa, when it hit the double-decker OC Transpo bus.
Via Rail says no major injuries were reported on the train.
The train was numbered 51 from Montreal, and it just left the Ottawa station and was pulling into Fallowfield station for an 8:52 departure.
Train service between Toronto and Ottawa in both directions was replaced by buses, in light of the accident.
Toronto-bound Via passenger David Hugill told CBC News: "It's horrible. What can I say? It was really undramatic on the train. It certainly didn't feel like it was an incident of that magnitude from where we were sitting.
"It's a brutal, brutal thing."
Hugill, a PhD candidate at York University, later tweeted:
The last time Toronto saw a train-bus collision of this magnitude was on Friday, December 12, 1975, when a full TTC bus stalled on train tracks in Scarborough and was struck by a Go Train, killing eight people and injuring 21.
Today TTC bus drivers are required to stop and look in both directions before crossing any tracks.
Disruptions to continue Wednesday
Via Rail train service between Toronto and Ottawa on Wednesday will be replaced by bus service. According to information posted on Via Rail's website:
- Train 41 will be replaced by bus service.
- Train 43 will be replaced by bus service.
- Train 44 will be replaced by bus service between Brockville and Ottawa.
- Train 45 will be replaced by bus service between Ottawa and Brockville.
- Train 50 will be replaced by bus service between Brockville and Ottawa.
- Train 51 will be replaced by bus service between Ottawa and Brockville. Passengers traveling from Montreal to destinations at or after Brockville should be transferred to train 53.
- Train 54 will be replaced by bus service between Brockville and Ottawa.
Service between Montreal and Ottawa will not be affected.