Temperatures across Toronto are expected to plunge overnight as the city recovers from yet another day of messy winter weather.

Environment Canada has issued a wind chill warning for the city, noting that strong north and northwest winds will make the expected overnight low of -19 C feel more like -31.

An earlier extreme cold weather alert, issued by the city, remains in effect, meaning warning centres and other services will be open to the homeless. The warming centre at Metro Hall opened at about 3 p.m. It provides hot drinks, snacks and even allows pets.

The weather will be sunny Thursday morning but not much warmer. The mercury will peak at about -7 C, but with the wind will still feel like -31 according to Environment Canada.

More than 10 centimetres of heavy, blowing snow blanketed the city on Wednesday, closing schools, delaying flights and causing chaos on the roads.

Salters and snow plows were out in force and, by about 6 p.m., the plows were headed down side streets, though clearing all the snow will take time.

“It takes about 16 hours after a storm’s finished to plow all the local streets,” said Trevor Tenn, the city’s manager of road operations for Scarborough. “So if people could hold off on calling 311 until then, that would be greatly appreciated.”

College closures, transit trouble

Humber College, Sheridan College, Centennial College and Seneca College had all closed their campuses by mid-afternoon, as had both campuses of York University and the Mississauga campus of U of T. OCAD University also cancelled its classes.

By mid-evening, GO Transit continued to report delays of up to 90 minutes, while service on the TTC appeared to have returned to normal after a full day of diversions, delays and other trouble.

Cancellations and delays at Pearson International Airport are expected to continue into Thursday morning. Roughly one-quarter of the airport’s incoming and outgoing flights were canceled on Wednesday.

Peel Regional Police say they responded to more than 200 accidents throughout the day. 

Elsewhere in the province, the eastbound lanes of Highway 401 between Woodstock and Kitchener reopened over the supper hour, following a 20-car pileup earlier in the day. There were no serious injuries according to the OPP.

The OPP also closed a 60-kilometre stretch of Highway 401 in both directions between Windsor, Ont., and Tilbury, Ont. because of numerous crashes. 

With files from CBC's Lorenda Reddekopp