A security guard who shot two men during a "physical altercation" at an east-end Toronto McDonald's in late February won't face charges related to their deaths, Toronto police said today.
- Gun fired in McDonald's shooting was legal, lawyer says
- From February: McDonald's shooting on Danforth leaves 2 dead
Police said in February that an armed security guard, who was apparently in the restaurant at 1735 Danforth Ave. to buy food, fired his weapon following a "significant physical altercation" with two men. In Wednesday's release, they said he had been working nearby.
"During the altercation, the private security officer discharged his firearm, fatally wounding both men," the police statement said.
Donny Ouimette, 25, and Ryan Hind, 39, both of Toronto, both died, while the security guard injured his hand in what police are calling a "firearm-related injury."
Police have never released an exact sequence of events, nor the security guard's name.
Investigators had access to security footage.
According to the release, homicide detectives conducted an investigation that including consulting senior Crown attorneys.
"It was determined that there would be no reasonable prospect of conviction, therefore no criminal charges will be laid," said the statement.
Craig Penny, lawyer for the security guard, said his client continues to recover from his injuries.
"He is grateful for the continuing support of his friends, family, co-workers and company, and is appreciative of the
professionalism of the Toronto Police Service," the statement said. "We thank everyone for their support, patience and understanding."