Power surges are presenting a risk to do serious harm, including the potential for a fire, as hydro crews work to get the lights back on across the city.

Toronto Fire issued a warning today that faulty wiring, or appliances that were left on when 250,000 people lost power last weekend, present a danger to homeowners.

Matthuschka Sheedy and her family planned ahead for when power is restored to her home, hopefully by the weekend, and unplugged all their appliances.

'When power comes back on, or there’s a surge, that appliance can start a fire if it’s been left on.'- Toronto Fire Capt. Mike Strapko

A damaged connection outside her home caused by a downed tree must be repaired before her hydro is fully restored.

“We kept the heat going but we were told don’t use any appliances so we’ve been cooking on the BBQ,” she said.

Electrician Joe Petrilli said keeping appliances unplugged is a good way to prevent against any potential power surges,

“Everything is going to kick in at the same time, so I would turn things on one at a time,” he said.

Fire Capt. Mike Strapko heeded the same warning to homeowners.

“When power comes back on, or there’s a surge, that appliance can start a fire if it’s been left on,” he said.

Officials investigating a fire at an east end home think it may have been caused by an electric stove that surged when power was restored.

The early morning Boxing Day fire left the home near Mount Pleasant and Eglinton Avenue completely gutted.. No one was injured in the blaze.  

Toronto Fire also said that every home should also have a battery-operated smoke alarm and carbon monoxide detector on each level.