3 arrested in series of break-ins, York Regional Police say
Break-ins becoming a 'trend' in York Region, police say
Police in York Region have arrested three suspects in connection with multiple break-ins and are cautioning residents that the crime is becoming a "trend" across the region.
On Thursday just before 6:30 p.m., police say three male suspects ranging in age from 29 to 46 years were arrested after breaking into a residence in the Dufferin Avenue and Kirby Road area in Vaughan.
The suspects fled the scene in a vehicle that was quickly located by plainclothes officers.
They were found with a number of stolen items and were charged with several other break-ins, as well.
Charges include three counts of intention to break and enter, five counts of breaking and entering, possession of break-in instruments, and possession of property obtained by crime.
The suspects were scheduled to appear in court Friday in Newmarket.
Break and enters a 'recent trend'
In a statement, York Regional Police said they are making "aggressive efforts to combat the recent trend of residential break and enters."
Those efforts include increased patrols and police visibility as well as plainclothes officers and investigative teams dedicated specifically to break-ins.
"Break and enters are often a crime of opportunity. The more difficult you make it for thieves to break into your home, the more likely it is that they will move along," police said.
Police are urging people to call them immediately if they notice any suspicious people or vehicles in their neighbourhoods.
They say residents should keep following safety tips in mind:
- When someone rings your doorbell or knocks on your door, make them aware that someone is home, even if you don't feel comfortable answering the door. For example, call out to the person that you can't answer the door right now
- Be sure to lock your doors and windows when leaving the house
- Consider storing valuables in a safety deposit box and do not discuss the contents of your home with others
- Install dead-bolt locks on all exterior doors and self-tapping screws in the upper track of patio doors and windows
- Consider installing a home security system with an audible alarm and video surveillance and make sure everybody in the house knows how it works