The snowboarder who died Wednesday morning after he was reported missing at Blue Mountain Resort in Collingwood, Ont., has been identified as 20-year-old Taylor Ogram of Caledon, Ont.

Ontario Provincial Police say Ogram was found just after 1:30 a.m. ET Wednesday in a wooded area at the base of the hill area called the South Base Lodge on the Sunrise run. The ski hill closed at approximately 10 p.m. on Tuesday night, and reopened Wednesday at 8:30 a.m. as scheduled.

Police responded to a report of a missing person just before 1 a.m.

Blue Mountain staff found Ogram — who was wearing a helmet — suffering from life-threatening injuries, they said. He was taken to hospital in Collingwood, where he was pronounced dead.

Ontario Provincial Police reported that an autopsy was expected to take place at a hospital in Owen Sound, Ont. It was not immediately clear when that examination would take place.

Blue Mountain Resort is in Collingwood, on Georgian Bay, about 140 kilometres north of Toronto. Collingwood is about 80 kilometres north of Caledon.

A story published in the Caledon Enterprise newspaper identifies Ogram as the son of the paper's circulation manager.

The Enterprise reports that Ogram grew up in Caledon East, attended Robert F. Hall Catholic Secondary School and was studying engineering at Western University in London, Ont.


Police have identified Taylor Ogram, 20, as the snowboarder who died early Wednesday after he was found with severe injuries on Blue Mountain Resort in Collingwood, Ont. (Caledon Enterprise)

The CBC's Ivy Cuervo reported that Ogram had gone to Blue Mountain with a group of friends for Reading Week.

Cuervo said that Ogram was supposed to meet with his friends at a chalet at 10 p.m. on Tuesday, but never showed up. Those friends began to worry and attempted to contact him via text.

Eventually, they contacted security at Blue Mountain, which led to the search.

CBC News spoke with Paul Pinchbeck, Blue Mountain's vice-president of marketing, who said police are still investigating.

"We're very saddened to read of any injury to any of our guests," he said. "And this is the most tragic of circumstances. Our feelings go out to the snowboarder's family and we'd just like to co-operate with the investigation in any way possible."