Liberals want GTA mayors to testify on gas plants
Liberals want mayors of Mississauga and Oakville to testify in front of legislative committee
The Canadian Press
Posted: Mar 6, 2013 7:01 AM ET
Last Updated: Mar 6, 2013 11:48 AM ET
Ontario's Liberals want the mayors of Mississauga and Oakville to be among the first to testify before a legislative committee looking into the party's decisions to cancel gas plants in both cities.
Liberal sources say Mississauga Mayor Hazel McCallion and Oakville's Rob Burton top the party's list of witnesses to be called before the justice committee, which will resume hearings Thursday.
The Liberals want the mayors and leaders of citizen activist groups to talk about the extent of local opposition to the gas-fired generating stations.
The Progressive Conservatives plan to call former energy minister Chris Bentley and Peter Wallace, the secretary of cabinet, in addition to former House of Commons speaker Peter Milliken.
The New Democrats want to call Jamison Steeve, Dalton McGuinty's former principal secretary along with energy experts.
Each party has been asked to submit a list of its first five witnesses to be called before the committee, which had its mandate broadened to examine all aspects of the cancelled gas plants.
The Tories also plan to call McGuinty and his successor, Kathleen Wynne, who was Liberal campaign co-chair when the Mississauga plant was halted in mid-construction.
Wynne has said she would be willing to appear before the committee and promised to release all the documents and other information the opposition parties request.
Liberals escape 1 contempt motion
On Tuesday, the Liberals escaped one of two contempt motions over the release of documents on cancelled gas plants when Speaker Dave Levac ruled they did not intentionally mislead the legislature.
It's clear then-energy minister Chris Bentley and other Liberal cabinet ministers were wrong last September to repeatedly insist all the gas plant documents had been released, when another 20,000 pages turned up in October, said Levac.
"While this sequence of events certainly demonstrates that some statements were incorrect when they were made, I accept that they were believed to be true at the time, not made with the intention of misleading the house," Levac said in his ruling.
"There is no evidence before me that would support a contrary opinion. I find that a prima facie case of contempt on the basis that a member has deliberately misled the house has not been established."
The Progressive Conservatives said the Liberals got off on a "technicality" because it's very difficult to prove a member has misled the legislature on purpose.
"They did mislead the house, but the threshold for proving that they intentionally misled the house is very, very high and has only been met a couple times in parliamentary history," said PC house leader Jim Wilson.
The Tories filed two contempt motions against the Liberals last fall — one for claiming all the gas plant documents had been released and the other for refusing to comply with a committee request to release the documents in the first place.
Both motions died when McGuinty prorogued the legislature Oct. 15 and announced his retirement, but were refiled by the Opposition when the house resumed sitting last month with Wynne in the premier's chair.
The justice committee will still investigate the original contempt motion regarding the release of the gas plant documents, where the Speaker had ruled last fall that there was a "prima facie breach of privilege."
The Tories and New Democrats believe the cost of the gas plant cancellations will be much higher than the $230 million the Liberals claim, and are convinced there are still more documents that have not been made public.
Wynne has admitted cancelling the gas plants was a political decision by the Liberal campaign team.
Latest Toronto News Headlines
- Harper chief of staff resigns amid Senate expense scandal
- Nigel Wright has resigned as Prime Minister Stephen Harper's chief of staff, following revelations he wrote a $90,000 cheque to repay living expenses claimed by Senator Mike Duffy. more »
- Busy weekend for OPP at Wasaga Beach
- The good weather has flooded the Wasaga Beach area with people seeking good times this weekend, though police say they are seeing some people enjoy themselves a little too much. more »
- Ads tout job grants program that doesn't yet exist
- The federal government has been airing ads touting its Canada Jobs Grant for training workers, but the Conservative government House leader acknowledges the announced program is merely a "proposal that needs to be fleshed out." more »
- Blue Jays washed out of the Bronx
- The Toronto Blue Jays saw their weekend series against the New York Yankees cut short Sunday by rain. The team returns home to start a new series Monday against Tampa Bay. more »
Top News Headlines
- Search continues for 2 missing New Brunswick fishermen
- A search effort has resumed for two missing fishermen off the coast of New Brunswick, after a distress call was issued from their boat early Saturday. more »
- Jeep driver apologizes after stunt kills Edmonton woman
- A man claiming to be the driver of a Jeep that struck and killed a spectator at a charity event in Edmonton says he is sorry for what happened. more »
- Senior Pakistani politician shot dead
- Gunmen in Pakistan have killed a senior member of Imran Khan's Movement for Justice (PTI) party outside her home in Karachi. more »
- Virginia parade crash driver likely had medical problem
- Authorities believe the driver who plowed into dozens of hikers marching in a Virginia mountain town parade suffered from a medical condition and did not cause the crash intentionally, an emergency official said Sunday. more »
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford cancels weekly radio show
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford denies crack cocaine allegations
- Panda exhibit opens at Toronto Zoo
- Police not questioning Millard in other cases, lawyer says
- LCBO strike threat off after deal reached
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford says downtown casino 'dead'
- Beautiful Victoria Day weekend ahead
- Shooting victim Anthony Smith was a 'big part of the community'
- Rare, $26,000 bottle of scotch stolen from Toronto shop