Ontario race horses slaughtered for meat, vet says
Race industry blames provincial government policy ending slots at tracks for leaving it no choice
Posted: Nov 1, 2012 9:56 AM ET
Last Updated: Nov 1, 2012 2:40 PM ET
An equine veterinarian near Windsor, Ont., says thousands of horses have been slaughtered for meat in the wake of Ontario’s decision to end the Slots at Racetracks Program.
Mark Biederman estimates 50 per cent of the province’s nearly 4,000 broodmares have been or will be slaughtered.
'Horses have been sent for meat, it's that simple.'—Mark Biederman, equine vet
“Horses have been sent for meat, it’s that simple,” Biederman said. “Euthanization is expensive. Disposal is expensive. A lot of people don’t have that option, so they have been sent to slaughter.
“I’d say 50 per cent of the people I know that had broodmares have already had them euthanized or sent to meat, unfortunately.”
A local breeder also told CBC News several horses have been sent to slaughter this fall.
In Ontario, horses to be killed for meat are usually sent to the Ontario Livestock Exchange in Kitchener. Calls to the exchange were not immediately returned.
Biederman also said his business is down 60 per cent this race season. He laid off half his staff.
Windsor Raceway closed its doors Aug. 31, four months after the province announced the end of the slots program.
“If my wife wasn’t an Ontario native and loved Ontario, I might have been gone already because I don’t see with what’s left in Ontario that we’re going to be able to continue as we were,” Biederman said.
Biederman said 90 per cent of his work involved standardbred horses.
Ontario announced the end of the slots program March 31. Money earned from slots at tracks was split between the horse industry, track owners and the province. It generated $345 million for the horse industry each year.
Biederman said the cancellation of the program “makes no sense.”
“Everyone was benefiting. The horse industry was getting $300 million and the province was getting $1.2 billion [each year],” he said. “Ontario is no longer a desirable place to race or breed horses.”
Biederman said some breeders and racers have taken their business to American states where gambling at racetracks is legal. Ohio, for example, just approved gambling at racetracks this year.
“All these states were envious of Ontario and said, ‘We would love to push for slots at racetracks and alt gambling to augment purses just like Ontario does.’ All those states' purses have risen and Ontario’s will drop,” Biederman said. “You go where you can make the most money, but that is no longer Ontario. People will relocate where they can make money. It’s just like job hunting.”
Expert recommend industry changes
Earlier this week, a panel of experts recommended to the provincial government that live race dates in Ontario be slashed in half, to 800 each year. It also recommended the business become “customer-driven” and purses become smaller.
“There’s absolutely no shot of us being able to continue. It won’t work,” said second-generation horse breeder Mark Williams. “I can’t morally see how there’s an advantage to putting one citizen out of work, never mind tens of thousands.
“Not to mention what’s going to happen to all our horses.”
The Ontario Harness Horse Association told CBC News the report marks the death of the industry.
“Rather than killing the industry off completely in one fell swoop, they’ve crippled it, which will ultimately lead to its death,” said Brian Tropea of the OHHA. “It’s just going to be a slower death.”
Adding to the difficulty in finding horses a new home is the fact feed and hay costs have skyrocketed because of an Ontario drought this summer.
Tropea said there is no choice but to "reduce the herd."
Latest Toronto News Headlines
- Toronto councillors say Ford scandal not over
- One Toronto city councillor says he doesn't believe Rob Ford and that the mayor should resign. And a top Ford supporter says he doubts the scandal is over. more »
- Big-time lobbyists attended pricey Mammoliti bash
- Two of the most powerful lobbyists at city hall attended a $5,000-a-table fundraising soirée involving Coun. Giorgio Mammoliti, CBC News has learned, raising questions about whether all three people followed municipal rules governing their conduct. more »
- Veteran Blue Jays reliever Darren Oliver goes on DL
- The Toronto Blue Jays have placed left-handed reliever Darren Oliver on the 15-day disabled list with a left shoulder strain, while lefty J.A. Happ has also been moved to the 60-day disabled list as he recovers from injuries after taking a ball in the head during a game earlier this month. more »
- Torontonians speak out on Rob Ford controversy
- Ford needs to speak up on allegations surrounding a video purporting to show the mayor smoking crack cocaine, say people asked on the streets of Toronto. more »
Top News Headlines
- Washington police blame bridge collapse on Alberta trucker
- Washington State police say an Alberta trucker was responsible for hitting a steel beam precipitating a bridge collapse on one of the busiest routes in the American northwest. more »
- Royal Bank pledges not to outsource jobs for cash savings
- Royal Bank has promised it will never outsource a Canadian job to a foreign worker solely to save money. more »
- Canada ranks 3rd last in paid vacations
- Canada ranks third last among economically advanced countries in the amount of paid vacation time it guarantees its workers, a new U.S. study indicates. more »
- Group calls for probe of Tory database used in election robocalls
- The Council of Canadians is calling on the Conservative Party to make a list of everyone who had access to its electoral database during the last federal election and turn the information over to the RCMP and the commissioner of elections. "Anything less at this point would be a coverup," the council said in a press release Friday. more »
- Executive committee calls on Ford to address crack video allegations
- Rob Ford fired chief of staff for telling mayor to 'get help'
- Alleged Ford crack video seller not responding to calls
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford denies crack cocaine allegations
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford fires chief of staff
- Texting during movie lands complainant in trouble
- Giorgio Mammoliti faces questions over $5,000-a-table event
- 15 teens on school hiking trip found after night in wilderness
- Jimmy Kimmel, Jon Stewart crack jokes about Rob Ford