Inquest to probe death of woman at Toronto detox centre
The Canadian Press
Posted: Sep 13, 2012 1:41 PM ET
Last Updated: Sep 13, 2012 2:59 PM ET
A coroner's inquest will be held into the death of a woman two years ago at a Toronto alcohol and drug detox centre.
Karyn Chase, 54, died Aug. 2, 2010 at the Women's Own Withdrawal Management Centre, a branch of Toronto Western Hospital.
The coroner's office says in a release that the inquest will look into events surrounding Chase's death and examine issues related to how substance-withdrawal management services are provided.
The jury may make recommendations aimed at preventing similar deaths.
Dr. Dan Cass will preside as coroner over the inquest, scheduled to begin Oct. 22.
It's expected to run for 10 days and hear from a dozen witnesses.
Latest Toronto News Headlines
- Torontonians speak out on Rob Ford controversy
- Ford needs to speak up on allegations surrounding a video purporting to show the mayor smoking crack cocaine, say people asked on the streets of Toronto. more »
- Big-time lobbyists attended pricey Mammoliti bash
- Two of the most powerful lobbyists at city hall attended a $5,000-a-table fundraising soirée involving Coun. Giorgio Mammoliti, CBC News has learned, raising questions about whether all three people followed municipal rules governing their conduct. more »
- Man charged 20 years later in sexual assault of 9-year-old girl
- Toronto Police have arrested a man in connection with a sexual assault of a 9-year-old girl that happened more than 20 years ago. more »
- Rolling Stones to rock with Mississauga choir
- The Rolling Stones take to the stage in Toronto Saturday night, accompanied by a Mississauga high school choir, for the first of three hotly anticipated Canadian concerts. more »
Top News Headlines
- Washington police blame bridge collapse on Alberta trucker
- Washington State police say an Alberta trucker was responsible for hitting a steel beam precipitating a bridge collapse on one of the busiest routes in the American northwest. more »
- Royal Bank pledges not to outsource jobs for cash savings
- Royal Bank has promised it will never outsource a Canadian job to a foreign worker solely to save money. more »
- Google Street View captures Galapagos Islands
- Few have explored the remote volcanic islands of the Galapagos archipelago, an otherworldly landscape inhabited by the world's largest tortoises and other fantastical creatures that inspired Charles Darwin's theory of evolution. more »
- Greg Weston: Senate scandal may be Harper's worst hour
- The widening Senate scandal that the prime minister flippantly tried to dismiss as a 'distraction' just days ago has instead become arguably Stephen Harper's worst hour. more »
- Rob Ford fired chief of staff for telling mayor to 'get help'
- Rob Ford allies to publicly call on mayor to address drug-use allegations
- Alleged Ford crack video seller not responding to calls
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford fires chief of staff
- Texting during movie lands complainant in trouble
- Giorgio Mammoliti faces questions over $5,000-a-table event
- 15 teens on school hiking trip found after night in wilderness
- Jimmy Kimmel, Jon Stewart crack jokes about Rob Ford
- Police recover purse of woman who died on subway