Toronto man faces charges in 2 downtown fires
Posted: Jul 16, 2012 2:47 PM ET
Last Updated: Jul 16, 2012 7:38 PM ET
Toronto police have charged a man in connection with two separate downtown fires, including one that prompted the demolition of a Yonge Street heritage building last year.
Insp. Gary Meissner told reporters on Monday afternoon that a male resident was arrested last Friday on an unrelated matter.
That arrest started a process in which officers investigated the suspect's connection to two fires — the blaze that gutted a three-storey building on the southeast corner of Yonge and Gould streets on Jan. 3, 2011, and a fire in a Toronto Community Housing building on Sackville Street last week.
The six-alarm blaze at 335 Yonge Street started at around 4 a.m. ET on Jan. 3, 2011. It took at least four hours to bring the fire under control, and firefighters were still hosing the building down at noon that day.
The building had to be demolished after the fire, leaving several tenants without a home, including the popular Salad King restaurant that has since relocated to the other side of Yonge Street.
Supt. John Tanouye said the blaze caused $3 million in damage. Meissner said the fire put people in the vicinity at risk, as well as the firefighters who responded to the blaze.
"It had a cascading effect, not only on the commerce, on the tourism, on the safety and well-being of individuals frequenting that area, as well as on the fire services and on other emergency personnel that were responding to that fire," Meissner said.
Weeks later, police confirmed that arson was the cause of the six-alarm blaze at 335 Yonge St.
A year after the fire, police revealed they were using 3D technology to build a profile of a suspect who was seen going behind the building several times on the morning that it burned.
Stewart Poirier, 53, of Toronto, faces the following charges:
- Two counts of arson, damage to property
- Two counts of arson, disregard for human life
- Two counts of mischief endangering life
- Attempted murder
- Two counts of fail to comply with probation
He is due to appear in a Toronto court on Thursday.
Police say the investigation into the January 2011 Yonge Street fire is still ongoing.
Latest Toronto News Headlines
- Mayor Ford sees 'final nail in the coffin' of bag ban
- Plastic bags appear set to remain a staple of Toronto shopping in the days ahead, as the public works and infrastructure committee voted Wednesday to shelve a report on options the city might pursue to reduce their general use. more »
- Police release video of suspect vehicle in Toronto homicide
- Three weeks after the afternoon slaying of a Scarborough father working in his backyard, homicide investigators have released more video of the suspect vehicle passing by the victim as he carts away bricks on his driveway. more »
- Dwane Casey to return as Raptors coach next season
- Dwane Casey will get another chance to get the Toronto Raptors into the playoffs, with the club confirming Wednesday that he'll be back in 2012-13 as head coach. more »
- Holocaust survivors celebrate senior prom in Toronto
- About 400 Holocaust survivors celebrated with dinner and dancing in Toronto Tuesday night at a soiree organized exclusively for victims who lived through the Nazi occupation. more »
Top News Headlines
- Obesity now recognized as a disease
- The American Medical Association has voted to recognize obesity as a disease, while doctors in Canada say they also treat it as such. more »
- Neil Macdonald: Washington's obsession with leakers
- Julian Assange and Edward Snowden are just the most prominent targets in an all-out legal and propaganda campaign that America's security apparatus is mounting against leakers everywhere, Neil Macdonald writes. more »
- Caregiving dads stigmatized at work suggests UofT study
- Fathers who participate in child rearing and housework are likely to be labeled slackers and "failed men" at work, according to a study spearheaded by researchers at the University of Toronto and Long Island University. Are active dads the norm at your workplace? more »
- Dolce and Gabbana convicted of tax evasion
- A Milan court has convicted fashion designers Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana of tax evasion, finding the pair guilty of failing to declare €1 billion ($1.37 billion Cdn) in income to authorities. more »
- Joni Mitchell plays rare performance at Luminato tribute
- Indiegogo defends Rob Ford crack video campaign
- New Parkdale bylaw would restrict bars, nightclubs
- Couple baffled over burger franchise lockout
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford needs security, brother says
- Experimental drug shows promise in treating breast, ovarian cancer
- Toronto's Dufferin Street named worst Ontario road again
- Bob Rae quits as MP in 'very emotional' decision
- Wynne sets sights on long-term goals