Heavy urban search and rescue teams face budget cuts
Federal government cutting program that helps fund teams
By Laura Payton, CBC News
Posted: Jun 27, 2012 5:12 AM ET
Last Updated: Jun 26, 2012 3:55 PM ET
A federal government cut is expected to hit the Heavy Urban Search and Rescue Team leading efforts at a collapsed mall in Elliot Lake, Ont.
Urban search and rescue units across the country are facing smaller budgets as part of federal efforts to cut costs.
A federal government memo posted to the website of the Ontario Association of Fire Chiefs in April says Public Safety Canada is going to cut the program that helps fund the search and rescue teams.
"Federal contributions for emergency preparedness projects under [the Joint Emergency Preparedness Program] will end in 2013 as will federal funding provided under JEPP for urban search and rescue and for critical infrastructure initiatives," Gina Wilson, assistant deputy minister of regional operations at Public Safety Canada, wrote in the memo.
Funding still exists for projects submitted for consideration in 2012-13, Wilson noted in the memo.
The government spent almost $6.5 million a year on the Joint Emergency Preparedness Program, with $2.1 million going to the urban rescue teams.
A spending estimate tabled in Parliament earlier this year said the program would continue until March 2015.
Teams likely to disband
CBC News reported in April on how the cut will hit the team in Vancouver. The other teams are in Calgary, Brandon, Man., Toronto and Halifax.
Staff Insp. Bill Neadles from the Toronto Heavy Urban Search and Rescue Team, which is currently in Elliot Lake, says the program is run jointly between the federal and provincial governments and the City of Toronto.
"It's something that's been a long time coming and is still in its infancy, if one wants to compare the programs to the United States," he said at a news conference Tuesday.
"As far as our mandate in enhancing it, I've already had a couple conversations quickly with a couple of the politically seated people in the room and some of those discussions will continue after this event concludes."
Sean Tracey, chairman of the board of the Canadian Centre for Emergency Preparedness and one of the people who developed the Canadian standards for heavy urban search and rescue, says the cut could mean the end of the rescue teams.
Public Safety Canada provides about one-third of the funding for the teams, Tracey said, and the cut will have a dramatic effect on Toronto's ability to sustain its team.
"After April 2013, we will probably not have even these teams and capabilities," he said.
"If this had happened a year from now, there would be nobody who would be able to respond to an incident such as this [the Elliot Lake roof collapse] inside Canada, anywhere," Tracey added
"I think you'll find that these teams … will disband, unless there’s a change to the funding to support these teams."
No military assistance yet
Officials have decided not to send in the military to assist with the search of the collapsed mall in Elliot Lake.
A federal official told CBC News that the province can handle the search without the military.
"We are told that Ontario currently has the capacity to manage this situation and does not require [Canadian Forces] assets/assistance at this time. Should a request be received, we stand ready to assist," the federal official told CBC News.
The procedure for bringing in the military starts with a request by the premier.
Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty on Tuesday requested assistance from Prime Minister Stephen Harper.
The prime minister gets more information from the Department of National Defence and the Canadian Forces about whether they have any unique capability that the province doesn't have or isn't readily available from the private sector.
That could include situations where, for example, large numbers of people are needed to sandbag an area before a major flood, or to evacuate communities. Another example would be a need for moving equipment quickly, such as an airlift into a remote area.
The Canadian Forces aren't sent if provincial or private sector personnel, equipment or expertise are available.
In the case of Elliot Lake, with no order to send in the military, DND likely responded that it doesn't have any unique capabilities to assist.
That message would have been relayed to Public Safety Canada, which handles emergencies within the country.
Latest Toronto News Headlines
- Somali community claims police brutality in Dixon raids
- Outraged Somali-Canadian community members are accusing police and tactical squads of racial profiling and unnecessary abuse of innocent residents during last week's Project Traveller raids in the west end. more »
- Former McGuinty staffer grilled about gas plants
- A former top aide to ex-premier Dalton McGuinty fended off allegations today that senior Liberal staffers were directed to delete emails about two cancelled Toronto-area power plants as part of a cost coverup. more »
- More funds needed to revamp St. Lawrence building
- It's going to cost at least $16 million more than previously expected to revamp a property associated with the St. Lawrence Market, though a downtown councilllor says the completed project will be beneficial for the city. more »
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford needs security, brother says
- A weekend incident in which a drink was thrown at Toronto Mayor Rob Ford highlights the need for him to have a security detail at public events, his councillor brother says. more »
Top News Headlines
- TV chef Nigella Lawson's husband cautioned by police for assault
- Prominent British art collector Charles Saatchi has admitted assault and accepted a police caution after published photos showed him grasping the throat of his wife, celebrity chef Nigella Lawson. more »
- G8 leaders agree to 7-point plan on Syria as summit wraps
- Prime Minister Stephen Harper and the other G8 leaders reach a seven-point plan aimed at stopping the conflict in Syria, wrapping up a two-day summit in Northern Ireland following talks on trade, tax evasion, poverty and terrorism. more »
- In Bangladesh's garment trade, empowerment comes at $20 a week
- The pay is laughable by Western standards, and the shantytowns of Dhaka offer a difficult life. But the surge of mostly young women into the country's increasingly important clothing industry is having a profound change on this largely Islamic society, Margaret Evans writes. more »
- Are e-cigarettes safe to puff?
- As electronic or e-cigarettes grow in popularity, some health advocates want them to be regulated. more »
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford needs security squad, brother says
- Former McGuinty staffer grilled about gas plants
- Toronto's Dufferin Street named worst Ontario road again
- Rob Ford on having drink thrown at him: 'That hurt, man'
- Ornge crash memorial to be held today
- More suspects sought in Project Traveller gang probe
- Union Station revamp won't be complete until 2016
- Toronto couple's Star Wars wedding shot goes viral
- Masonic Temple in Toronto sold to IT firm for $12.5M