National Geographic has ranked Toronto's St. Lawrence Market as the world's best food market, beating out New York's Union Square Greenmarket and St. Lucia's Castries Market.
"Redeveloped between the 1970s and 1990s after long neglect, the area’s mix of homes and businesses showcases urban regeneration," the magazine writes.
The complete list of National Geographic's top 10 food markets, ranked from the book Food Journeys of a Lifetime, is as follows:
- St. Lawrence Market, Toronto
- Union Square Greenmarket, New York City
- Castries Market, St. Lucia
- Ver-o-Peso, Belem, Brazil
- Mercado Central, Santiago, Chile
- Kreta Ayer Wet Market, Singapore
- Kauppatori, Helsinki, Finland
- La Vucciria, Palermo, Italy
- Cours Saleya, Nice, France
- Borough Market, London, England