Toronto Mayor Rob Ford has been released from Mount Sinai Hospital after his first round of chemotherapy.

The mayor's chief of staff issued a statement Tuesday evening saying Ford was released in the afternoon and "has returned home, and is resting with his family at this time."

The statement said Ford was thankful to the media for "respecting both his privacy, and that of his family during this very difficult time."

The mayor also said he was grateful for the support he has been receiving from the public.

Ford went to hospital Sept. 10 with stomach pain. Doctors discovered a tumour in his abdomen the same day. He has since been diagnosed with liposarcoma, a rare type of cancer.

Last Thursday, Ford released an audio statement saying he would begin chemotherapy within a few hours.

Surgeon Zane Cohen, who is leading Ford's clinical care team, had previously told reporters that each round of the mayor's in-patient chemotherapy was expected to last three days.

The 45-year-old Ford had been seeking re-election until the tumour was discovered. He withdrew from the mayoral race, but put his name on the ballot for council in Ward 2, where he previously served as a city councillor.

His brother Doug Ford is now running for mayor in his place in the Oct. 27 election, which is less than five weeks away.

Mayor Ford's diagnosis comes in a year in which he has been to hospital at least twice previously — once for a reported toe injury and once before he began a two-month stint in rehab for substance abuse.

Ford was elected as the mayor of Toronto in 2010, after spending a decade on council.

He became world famous while serving as mayor after he was first accused and later finally admitted to having smoked crack.