Permit cancellations on the flooded Toronto Islands have been extended until July 31.
That's an additional month from the city of Toronto's prior end-date of June 30, and so far, more than 300 permits for around 90 groups or individuals have been impacted — a situation that's already left couples and wedding planners scrambling.
- Toronto Island businesses 'losing battle' against flooding, bracing for closures
- Flooded Toronto Islands leave wedding and event planners scrambling
All city-run recreation programs are also cancelled through to the end of July, impacting around 350 summer camp registrants, according to the city.
"The park remains closed, and ferry service restricted to island residents only," said city spokesperson Wynna Brown.
With more than 40 per cent of the islands still underwater, Brown said city staff are "fully engaged" in flood mitigation work, and are working closely with the Toronto Region Conservation Authority.
Roughly 40,000 sandbags have been placed throughout the park, while nine industrial pumps are being used to remove surface pooling.
Water level starting to stabilize
But Brown said there is "good news."
"We know the water flows out of the lake are now surpassing the flows into the lake, and there are indications the water level is beginning to stabilize," she said.
Still, Brown said it's going to take time for the water level to recede. And for struggling island businesses, more time without tourists could sound their death knell.
Several business-owners recently told CBC Toronto they've experienced a huge drop in customers amid the flooding.
For the Rectory Cafe on Ward's Island, the financial hit has already proved insurmountable.
The co-owners say it will be closing in October.