The Ontario Provincial Police says its officers will be out in force this weekend, joining a nationwide campaign to prevent accidents, injuries and deaths on the roads.
They launched "Operation Impact" on 400-series highways Friday morning. The campaign will target what police are calling the "big four:" impaired driving, aggressive driving, improper or lack of seatbelt use and distracted driving.
OPP Commissioner Chris Lewis said officers will be taking a "zero tolerance" approach "toward drivers who place others at risk."
"We will use all available resources, including OPP aircraft, to do our part to ensure Canada's roads and highways remain among the safest in the world," he said in a statement.
Five people died on Ontario roads during the Thanksgiving long weekend last year.
The campaign runs from Friday until Monday.
So far this year, 249 people have died on roads patrolled by the OPP.