Ontario ombudsman Andre Marin says he's received a "heartfelt and sincere" personal apology from the police officer he says sent him offensive tweets last month.

Marin issued a statement Friday saying he met with the detective at his office Thursday and accepted his apology for sending the tweets from an account set up in another officer's name.

Durham regional police say they won't identify the detective, who faces a discreditable conduct charge following an investigation into tweets sent Aug. 8, until a public hearing begins on Oct. 1.

But Marin identified him as Det. Jeff Caplan of the Durham Region force's major fraud unit.

He says Caplan understood his name should be made public in the interest of transparency.

Durham police 'bungled the case,' Marin says

While praising the officer in a series of tweets this morning, Marin was critical of the force's investigation of the matter, saying "they bungled the case, no doubt. He wasn't the one pulling the strings."

The tweets, which called Marin a "carded member of al-Qaida" among other insults, appeared just before Marin was to give a news conference on the shooting death of 18-year-old Sammy Yatim on a Toronto streetcar.

The user "Joe Mayo" also told Marin not to stick his "big French nose" where it didn't belong.

Marin apologized late last month for wrongly naming another Durham Region detective as the person who wrote the tweets.

The Durham police force said that officer was on annual leave at the time and did not know about the account, which investigators said was set up without his knowledge or consent.

With files from The Canadian Press