Omar Khadr flies to Toronto to visit grandparents

Former Guantanamo Bay prisoner Omar Khadr arrives at Toronto's Pearson International Airport from Edmonton on a court-approved visit to see his grandparents.

Former Guantanamo prisoner lives with lawyer in Edmonton under court-imposed restrictions

Omar Khadr arrived in Toronto Thursday to visit his sick grandmother. The 28-year-old was freed on bail by an Edmonton judge last May after spending more than a decade in jail.

Former Guantanamo Bay prisoner Omar Khadr arrived Thursday at Toronto's Pearson International Airport from Edmonton on a court-approved visit to see his grandparents.

It is the first visit of its kind for Khadr, 28, who was released on bail in May pending an appeal in the U.S. of his conviction for war crimes. He has been living in Edmonton with his lawyer Dennis Edney under the terms of court imposed restrictions.

The Toronto native refused to speak to reporters as he was whisked away in a dark SUV, accompanied by his lawyer.

Khadr was accused of throwing a grenade that killed a U.S. soldier in Afghanistan when he was 15 years old. He confessed to a military tribunal and was convicted and spent 10 years at the Guantanamo Bay prison in Cuba before being transferred to the Millhaven Institution near Kingston, Ont., and later to the Bowden Institution near Innisfail, Alta.

Khadr pleaded guilty on Oct. 25, 2010, to murder in violation of the laws of war, attempted murder in violation of the laws of war, conspiracy, and two counts of providing material support for terrorism and spying.

He was returned to Canada on Sept. 29, 2012, to serve the remainder of his sentence here.

Two weeks ago, Justice June Ross of the Alberta Court of Queen's Bench ruled Khadr could remove an electronic monitoring bracelet, be allowed to visit his grandparents in Toronto, and speak to them in a language other than English.

The judge also ordered the removal of monitoring software on the laptop computer Khadr uses for school. The software was interfering with the operations of the computer, and Alberta Justice had been unable to help resolve the problems.

Khadr's arrival Thursday dispels questions as to whether he is able to board a commercial aircraft in Canada because of the potential he was on a no-fly-list.

With files from John Nicol


To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.