Oakville garage door accident leaves boy, 9, critical
Police say boy's clothing became caught in hardware of rising door
A nine-year-old boy is in critical condition after his clothing became entangled in an operating garage door at his home in Oakville, Ont.
How it happened
Police say the boy had entered the door's access code and was entering the garage from the outside when his hooded sweatshirt became entangled in the hardware of the rising door.
Halton Regional Police Sgt. Chantal Corner told CBC News the boy had tried to duck under the door before it was fully raised when his clothing became caught in the door's hardware.
"There is some hardware, like a handle on the outside of the door, that as he was ducking under attached to the hoodie that he was wearing and that is what affected him to be raised up off the ground," said Corner.
Paramedics were called to the home near Bronte Road and Dundas Street West at around 7:15 p.m. Monday evening by passersby who tried to help the boy.
He was rushed to a local hospital, then transferred to Sick Kids hospital in Toronto.
Halton police say the boy's parents were home at the time and describe the incident as an "unfortunate accident."
"Everybody is keeping their fingers crossed that there is a positive outcome," said Corner.