Firefighters continue to battle a fire at a Brampton, Ont., propane filling facility that led to multiple explosions Wednesday night, and the nearby area remained closed as of early Thursday morning due to risks of further explosions.
Firefighters were called to a building on Steeles Avenue between Bramalea and Dixie Roads around 9:30 p.m. ET, Peel Regional Police said.
“The fire took place outside in the rear of a propane company, a few of the propane tanks exploded,” Fiona Thivierge, media relations officer with Peel police, told reporters.
The fireballs some residents saw were due to the explosions of smaller tanks, Thivierge said. There are also larger tanks on site that may pose further risks of explosion.
Thivierge said the firefighters do not believe the fire would impact the larger tanks.
“But we can’t take the risk. [The firefighters] want us to maintain the security of the scene right now until they are absolutely certain that there won’t be any residual explosions.”
The exact number of the propane tanks are not immediately available, Thivierge said, but she said the company, Air Liquide, supplies to “a number of agencies.”
The fire is not believed to be overly large, Thivierge said.
“It’s the risk of the propane on the property that’s the big issue. The fire itself is not the issue.”
Thivierge said Steeles Avenue will be shut down between Dixie and Bramalea Roads until there is no risk of any explosion.
Police have also shut down CN Rail routes in the area due to concerns that flying debris from the fire may hit the trains.
@CBCToronto Heard the explosions about 9.30pm and we are 15km from site, sky lit up by explosions, clouds went red with the explosions.— Cam Ellis (@ellis_cd) May 8, 2014
Police have shut down businesses in the area, but there is no risk to residents as there are no residential buildings or homes in the immediate area, Thivierge said.
One person was transported to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries due to minor burns, Thivierge said.
The man was an employee with the company, she added.
The cause of the fire is not immediately known and will be determined once the fire is put out, Thivierge said.
The explosions were caught on camera by social media users.