A 21-year-old Brampton man is dead following a serious two-vehicle crash in Mississauga that sent eight people to hospital Sunday night.

Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) say the collision happened around 10:30 p.m. in the eastbound lanes of Highway 403 at Cawthra Road when a Nissan SUV rear-ended a Toyota and then went into the ditch where it rolled over several times.

A 21-year-old man from Brampton has died in hospital following the crash, police confirmed. 

In total, Sgt. Kerry Schmidt said eight people were injured in the collision, seven of whom were ejected. Two victims were rushed to a trauma centre in life-threatening condition. 

Police had said earlier that seven people were injured in the incident. 

The SUV had six people in it when the vehicle struck the Toyota and police say all six of them were ejected from the vehicle. One person was killed and five occupants sustained minor injuries, police said.

403 mississauga 5 people ejected crash

This Nissan had six people in it when it hit a Toyota and then rolled over several times in the ditch, according to Sgt. Kerry Schmidt. (Mehrdad Nazarahari/CBC)

Three people were in the Toyota that was "hit really hard from behind," according to Schmidt. A female passenger was ejected from the car and another passenger was taken to hospital with minor injuries.Schmidt said the woman sustained serious injuries from the crash, but they're now considered non-life threatening.

"We'll certainly be looking into seat belt use and driving behaviour," Schmidt said from the scene. "We have reports of [the Nissan] travelling erratically prior to the collision."

The OPP said many witnesses stopped at the scene to help provide first aid after the crash.

hwy 403 crash 5 people ejected mississauga

Three people were in the Toyota that was 'hit really hard from behind' Sunday night, says Sgt. Kerry Schmidt. (Mehrdad Nazarahari/CBC)

"With everyone being ejected, it was obviously a pretty traumatic scene," said Schmidt.

Police are still looking to speak with anyone who might have seen how the Nissan car was driving before the collision took place.

The highway was closed for about eight hours following the crash.