Man faces manslaughter charge in death of Timothy Kevin Milley

Toronto police have charged a man with manslaughter, after being called to a strip of the Danforth for a report of a fight on the weekend.

'He was loved, he was a good man,' niece says of slain uncle

The image above was taken on Sunday, at a gas station that had been cordoned off for an investigation into the death of Timothy Kevin Milley. (Alan Habbick/CBC)

Toronto police have charged a man with manslaughter, after being called to an east-end neighbourhood for a report of a fight on the weekend.

Police were called to the area of Greenwood and Danforth avenues just after 8:30 a.m. Sunday. 

The exact sequence and location of events is unclear. An Esso gas station with an adjacent Tim Hortons was cordoned off with police tape that day, on the southwest corner of the intersection. A Forensic Identification Services van was seen parked near the gas pumps.

Police say a man, later identified as Timothy Kevin Milley, 54, was "suffering from injuries" and his condition was deteriorating rapidly despite efforts by paramedics to revive him. He was pronounced dead in hospital.

After speaking with witnesses, police conducted a search and arrested Dwayne Barton, 46. He is scheduled to appear in court Thursday morning to face a charge of manslaughter.

Danica Milley, the slain man's niece, said that her family is devastated by his death, which came weeks ahead of his 55th birthday.

Timothy Kevin Milley died on Sunday, March 9, 2014. Police have charged a man with manslaughter in connection with his death. The photo above, which was provided to CBC News by a family member, shows the deceased about five weeks before his death. (Courtesy of Danica Milley)

"He was loved, he was a good man," she told CBC News in a telephone interview on Wednesday.

Her uncle had previously worked as a labourer, Milley said, but had been on compensation after injuring his shoulder.

Milley said her "Uncle Timmy" was a bit down on his luck, but was loved by his family.

Her uncle liked sports, particularly baseball, which he played growing up. His niece said he also had a great sense of humour.

He came from a family of six children and was predeceased by his parents.

His baby granddaughter had been born just weeks before his death. Milley said her uncle only had a chance to meet her once.

"He was so proud," she said.

Funeral arrangements are still being finalized.