A 23-year-old man has been put behind bars for a violent sex assault that occurred in Toronto two years ago, but police are concerned that he may have harmed other victims in the past.
Toronto police held a news conference today, in which they publicized the conviction of Nathan Bumesi — a man who has been handed a 10-year sentence for what Det. Mark Benallick describes as "a brutal and prolonged sexual assault" on April 3, 2012.
Benallick said that Bumesi attacked a 53-year-old woman near 251 Sherbourne St.
"The victim was punched, kicked, stomped on, choked into unconsciousness repeatedly, stripped completely naked, sexually assaulted and left on the cold pavement to die," Benallick said.
The incident was captured on video and Bumesi was arrested within hours of the assault.
Bumesi was sentenced on Tuesday. He had pleaded guilty to aggravated sexual assault.
As part of Bumesi’s sentence, he will be required to provide a DNA sample, he’ll be subject to a lifetime weapons ban and is banned from making contact with his victim, Benallick said.
Benallick said that due to the nature of the attack, there are concerns that he could have potentially attacked others in the past.
The detective said that Bumesi has previously spent time in Windsor, Ont.
Investigators with Toronto's sex crimes unit can be reached at 416-808-7474. Information can also be passed on to police anonymously through Crime Stoppers at 416-222-8477.