A 43-year-old man has been arrested in connection with an alleged assault at Toronto Mayor Rob Ford’s campaign office on Wednesday.
Police were called around 3:30 p.m. Wednesday about an incident inside the mayor’s campaign headquarters, located at 2083 Lawrence Ave. E.
- Related: Rob Ford unveils subway-heavy transit plan
- Related: Rob Ford threatened teacher, had students roll in goose dung: documents
According to Staff Sgt. Mitch Rouette with Toronto police’s 41 Division, a man tried to enter the office three times and was asked to leave.
An altercation arose between the visitor and a Ford campaign staffer.
Police said they don't know whether the staffer was hurt, but noted the accused sustained minor injuries.
Officers arrested a 43-year-old man outside the office, Rouette said.
He said the man had been carrying a camera before the assault.
Paul Benoit, of Oakville, called CBC News to say he was the man who was arrested and said he was planning to film inside the office.
He said four volunteers approached him and it was obvious that he was not welcome.
He said he was violently pushed and kicked on his way out the door.
Police are looking at his footage as well as surveillance video from the office as part of the investigation, Rouette said.
No charges have been laid.
The arrest comes less than two months before Toronto's mayoral election and less than one month after the city's controversial mayor was the target of a bomb threat.
On Aug. 11, police toured a bomb-sniffing dog through the Ford office at city hall after he received a threatening email.
The message, Ford said, warned that he and his brother had 24 hours to resign from council, or else "city hall will blow."
Police determined the bomb threat to be a hoax.
Police originally gave CBC News an incorrect age for the accused.Sep 03, 2014 8:27 PM ET