A kitten is dead after it apparently ingested some amount of ethylene glycol, a chemical commonly found in anti-freeze, suspected to have been on a Christmas tree purchased at Home Depot.

A Stoney Creek, Ont., family adopted a black kitten named Luna from the cat rescue group called Forever Home.

Kimberley Coates brought home a Christmas tree from Home Depot after taking the kitten home. She said the feline ingested needles from the tree and later died. Coates said her veterinarian informed the family the cause of death was poisoning from ethylene glycol, extremely toxic to cats.

The two young children in the family are said to be devastated. The family said the youngest girl is having a difficult time coping with the loss, blaming herself because she picked out the tree.

Home Depot has picked up the tree from the family.

It confirmed to CBC News that less than 300 of these specific types of trees sold in a "limited number of stores".

The retail giant said this is the only reported case in Ontario. 

The family says this is the tree bought at Home Depot. It's not in their home any more.

The family says this is the tree bought at Home Depot. It's not in their home any more. (Supplied)

"Although we have only one reported incident in Ontario we continue to investigate the issue with our merchants and vendors," said Cheryl Flicker, a spokesperson for the home supplies and repair corporation in an email to CBC News.

"This situation relates to a very small quantity of a specific product, which was available at a small number of select stores."

Flicker did not specify what particular product or stores she was referencing.