A Pakistani man accused of plotting bomb attacks on the U.S. consulate and financial district in Toronto was ordered out of Canada on Friday following a process his lawyer denounced as a farce.
Jahanzeb Malik, who will not contest the decision, is now expected to be deported within the next several weeks.
"Mr. Malik has been deemed to be inadmissible," his lawyer Anser Farooq told an Immigration and Refugee Board hearing minutes after receiving the decision.
- Malik decides to stop testifying
- Undercover agent testifies against Jahanzeb Malik
- Move to deport Jahanzeb Malik is 'absurd,' lawyer says
A handcuffed Malik, who appeared via video link from a prison in Lindsay, Ont., showed little reaction.
A copy of the decision by board member Andy Laut to strip Malik of his permanent resident status and declare him inadmissible on national security grounds was not immediately available.
However, an undercover RCMP officer who befriended the 33-year-old flooring contractor testified previously that Malik was an extremist who professed sympathies for the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) and al-Qaeda. The agent said Malik showed him videos of ISIS beheadings and asked about building explosives.
'The purpose fails me'
Farooq, who has derided the use of immigration rather than criminal proceedings in such cases, said it makes no sense to kick out someone alleged to be a dangerous terrorist.
In addition, Farooq said, the low standard of proof required in inadmissibility cases means someone can be shown the door based on questionable evidence.
"The immigration detention review and inadmissibility process is farcical in the face of the serious allegations and the standard of proof required to label someone for the rest of their life," Farooq told the Canadian Press. "The purpose fails me."
After hearing Laut's ruling, board member Harry Adamidis ordered Malik, who was arrested March 9, to stay in custody.
"There is no alternative to his detention," Adamidis said. "I find that if released on his own, he would constitute a danger to the public."
Malik has no regard for the safety and well-being of others or for the law, Adamidis said.
No attempt to delay deportation
While Malik had shown himself to be a religious zealot who believed in violence to further his beliefs, Adamidis noted there had been no evidence Malik posed an imminent threat.
"He did not actually plan to bomb a specific target on a specific date," Adamidis said. "The plan was very much in the conceptual stages."
Government counsel, Jessica Lourenco, countered that Malik clearly intended to develop the bomb plot. He had inquired about the feasibility of making bombs and the amount of explosives required, she said.
"There were quite frequent communications about this plan," Lourenco said. "It was a plan Mr. Malik did intend to follow through on."
Lourenco said Malik has a valid passport and his removal will occur as soon as it can be arranged — likely in about three weeks.
Farooq said there would be no attempt to delay the deportation.
"I'm just going to get Mr. Malik out of here just as soon as we can," the lawyer said.
In a separate case decided last month, another Pakistani man, Muhammad Aqeeq Ansari, who amassed a collection of high-power guns, was ordered out of Canada as a danger to national security. His deportation is expected at any time.