'No working carbon monoxide alarms' in Barrie home where infant died, fire official says

No working carbon monoxide alarms were found inside a Barrie home after a suspected case of poisoning by the deadly gas claimed the life of an infant and left two other people in hospital, according to fire officials in Barrie.

2 people — 1 adult and 1 child remain hospitalized in a suspected case of carbon monoxide poisoning

An infant has died in a suspected case of carbon monoxide poisoning at a Barrie home. A mother and child were transported to a Toronto area hospital for treatment. (Paul Smith/CBC)

No working carbon monoxide alarms were found inside a Barrie home after a suspected case of poisoning by the deadly gas claimed the life of an infant and left two other people in hospital, according to fire officials in Barrie.

Emergency crews responded to a medical call just before 8:30 a.m. in the Yonge and D'Ambrosio neighbourhood of Barrie on Sunday. 

"Upon arrival, [firefighters] found high levels of carbon monoxide in the home," said Samantha Hoffmann, spokesperson for Barrie fire. Crews found the three occupants, a mother and her two children — two years old and 10 months old — unresponsive. 

"There were no working carbon monoxide alarms in the home," she said.

The mother and two-year-old child were taken to a Toronto hospital for further treatment, Hoffman said.

"The father came home from work and found them, and called 9-1-1," Hoffman explained.

In 2014, the Government of Ontario passed new regulations making it mandatory for all households to have carbon monoxide alarms near all sleeping areas. 

"The big thing is to make sure that everybody has working carbon monoxide alarm outside of their sleeping area," Hoffman added.