Hanad Mohamed charges stayed in Anthony Smith killing case
Charges have been stayed against a man thought to have been linked to the killing of Anthony Smith, one of the young men who posed in an infamous picture alongside Toronto Mayor Rob Ford.
Hanad Mohamed, 23, was originally charged with first-degree murder in relation to 21-year-old Smith's death in a shooting outside the Loki Lounge, a club in downtown Toronto, in March last year.
However, charges were subsequently reduced to accessory after the fact to manslaughter, accessory to discharging a firearm, and accessory to aggravated assault.
A second man, Muhammad Khattak, was wounded in the same shooting.
Charges have been stayed, but not dropped, which means the case could be brought back to court within a year.
His lawyer, Fariborz Davoudi, told CBC News on Tuesday that it was the position of the Crown that “it’s no longer in the interest of justice to proceed with these charges and that there were no reasonable prospects of conviction.”
Davoudi said he was still trying to get in touch with his client to let him know what had happened.
“I’m sure he’ll be delighted once he hears…it’s been a very stressful ordeal for him in the last few months,” Davoudi said.
Mohamed had also been accused of driving the getaway car from the club.
Nisar Hashimi, 23, was also charged with first-degree murder in Smith’s death, but later pleaded guilty to manslaughter.
The case received widespread attention, in large part due to a photo of Ford wearing a hoodie and smiling beside Smith, Khattak and a man named Monir Kasim.
Both Khattak and Kasim faced charges after the raids stemming from Project Traveller, a months-long police investigation targeting a street gang in Toronto that allegedly was trafficking both drugs and guns.