Natalie Gray was apprehended by police during a demonstration at the temporary detention centre in Toronto's east end on June 27. ((Submitted by Natalie Gray))

The lawyer for a G20 protester who claims to have been shot with rubber bullets by police at a Toronto rally is calling for a criminal investigation of the officers who he says were involved.

Clayton Ruby on Friday showed reporters a video that he says shows two officers firing three rubber bullets at Natalie Gray during an east end Toronto protest on June 27.

Two of those rubber bullets hit Gray, before officers surrounded and then arrested her, he said. Ruby also produced a photograph of an officer he alleges fired one of the shots. He believes that officer is clearly identifiable.


Gray shows the wound on her sternum that she alleges was inflicted by a rubber bullet. ((Submitted by Natalie Gray))

Ruby said he has sent the footage to Toronto police Chief Bill Blair and has asked him to look into the matter.

"I want the chief to do a criminal investigation. He promised he would be transparent. He's done nothing," he said.

"So now we're going to give him the picture of the officer so there's no doubt who it is, and we're going to say, 'You criminally investigate that.'"

He said those who fired the rubber bullets should be charged with assault and unlawful use of a firearm.

$1M lawsuit filed

Gray was hit in the sternum and near her left elbow. Her elbow wound later became infected, Ruby said.

Gray was unarmed, was five metres away from the officers and posed no threat to them, he said.

In September, Gray filed a lawsuit against the Toronto Police Services Board — the civilian-led body that oversees the force — and 10 individual police officers who haven't been identified for over $1 million in damages.


A picture of Gray showing a wound on her elbow that she said was from a rubber bullet. ((Submitted by Natalie Gray))

The lawsuit claims Gray was a victim of assault and battery, unlawful arrest and detention, malicious prosecution and violations of a number of her constitutional rights under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

None of the allegations have been proven in court. Toronto police are conducting an internal review of policing during the June 26-27 summit. The Toronto Police Services Board is also reviewing police actions during the summit.

Police did not immediately respond to a request for comment, but have said in a statement of defence that injuries Gray sustained were not caused by police; rather they were sustained either before or after her arrest.

Gray was one of about 150 protesters who marched on a police-approved route to a former Toronto film studio that was converted into a temporary detention centre on June 27, the final day of the G20 meetings.

Gray was later charged with obstructing a peace officer, one of nearly 1,000 people arrested before or during the G20 summit.

Gray had all charges against her dropped on Aug. 23.